Teraflex hinged carrier

tsetsefly1

JK Enthusiast
Need a new spare tire holder - mine still has the stock (or so it seems) tire holder and there is a pretty massif tire on the back. I see Teraflex is highly recommended and the install is pretty darn easy, but it's also quite spendy.

Is there any other recommendations? I don't want to wait too long though!

Do not invest in the Teraflex. I have a few posts detailing the problems with mine at 6 years old:
https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/teraflex-hd-tailgate-issue.27399/

I have yet to set aside a day to completely take it apart, piece by piece, to see if I can fix it. I'm not kidding you when I tell you I'm 6'6" @ 285lbs and it takes me both arms to push it closed. It's not worth the $700 with the adjustable adapter. There are no zerk fittings and no way to keep the hinge pins lubed.

Do not invest in the Teraflex. I have a few posts detailing the problems with mine at 6 years old:

I have yet to set aside a day to completely take it apart, piece by piece, to see if I can fix it. I'm not kidding you when I tell you I'm 6'6" @ 285lbs and it takes me both arms to push it closed. It's not worth the $700 with the adjustable adapter. There are no zerk fittings and no way to keep the hinge pins lubed.
Any others you'd recommend?

I have the nilight rear bumper with tire carrier on it and I love it. It takes all the weight off your tailgate hinges and if you are going to spend money on a tire carrier why not get a bumper with tire carrier.

Any others you'd recommend?
I don't have much experience with them to be able to recommend. If I have to buy a new one, it'll be one with zerk fittings in the hinge pins and one that I can break down and clean the grime and dust from time to time.

Damn! At 6’1 180 I would have to get a running start I guess! Thanks for the heads up.

If I find I have to replace my Terafllex after tearing it apart, I think I'd go with the MORryde J104169 HD tire carrier in conjunction with the MORryde J102515 HD hinges.... unless someone gave me a crazy good reason not to.

Reactions: tsetsefly1
Me and a friend completely pulled the HD Teraflex carrier off the tailgate and went to work on the hinges. So, the hinge pins (hardened steel) are knurled into the upper portion of the hinge, which is cast aluminum. We used penetrating oil, heat and did a lot of pounding trying to get the pins out. After nearly an hour, we managed to break one pin loose by almost 1/4". And that was about all it took to get the tailgate freed up.
Short of taking it to a machine shop and using a 30 ton bottle jack press to push the pins out and lube them up, the product does not lend itself well to basic maintenance.
Given the amount of daily dirt and dust that whips around the tailgate area of a Jeep, and no way to clean or lubricate the hinges, I cannot recommend this product. I think our fix is temporary and I'm sure the issue will return at some point, and then I'll replace the entire product.

Need a new spare tire holder - mine still has the stock (or so it seems) tire holder and there is a pretty massif tire on the back. I see Teraflex is highly recommended and the install is pretty darn easy, but it's also quite spendy.

Is there any other recommendations? I don't want to wait too long though!
The size of the tire has a lot of influence, and so does how much and how rough your off road driving is. The bigger the tires are, the more inertia the carrier has to handle. Its hinges and attachment to the body or bumper are going to fatigue faster with weight and intense use. No carrier will be without flaws and they'll all age. So consider how you're going to use the vehicle. Rock crawling will be really rough, overlanding not so much, mall crawling - who cares?

I have the smittybilt heavy duty spare tire carrier and hinges. It is kinda of a pain to adjust initially (carrying height and depth) but once it is setup it is solid. I like the one action tailgate. Personally, the two action tailgates bug me. I got it on sale awhile back for high two hundred something. Don’t know what they run now.

Also for reference it’s carried my old 38x13.50 no problem in pretty much every environment with the exception with slight tire rub on my rear steel bumper. 12.50s do not.