Synthetic oil

hydiseka

Any recommendations on brand of synthetic oil to use in 3.6 L engine or just personal preference

I use Mobil 1 also as it's relatively cheap and changing often (5k miles) keeps it pretty clean. Yes there are better oils out there but after 5k miles it still looks pretty clean.

Reactions: hydiseka
Really they are all about the same, now days they have to make the oils to a certain spec in order for them to be used in all vehicles. That way they can sell them for every vehicle on the market, mostly just a price difference because some Companies think theirs are worth more.

+1 to BLACKJKU's thought. Pretty much any name brand full synthetic will work fine. Changing at 5k might be a bit premature. Even in air cooled Harley Davidson motorcycles, the interval is 7k....and that's with some really high heat stress.

I agree on the 5k, oil doesn't break down it just gets dirty. What ever the oil change interval I decide on I change the filter 1/2 way through.

Reactions: mrjp and hydiseka
I agree on the 5k, oil doesn't break down it just gets dirty. What ever the oil change interval I decide on I change the filter 1/2 way through.
Most synthetics say 15k to 20k. I tend to lean towards 10k, but I also do mostly highway. A lot do at 7k but agreed that 5k is just pouring money down the drain.

I came from a 10 quart capacity sports car and I was putting 4-6k miles a year on it and it sat through the winter. So use is what I used to determined changing. Heavy use burns off much of the contaminates, gas, moisture out of the oil. When a vehicle sits with contaminated oil, that is not good. So I agree if I was putting 15k miles/year on a car then changing it twice a year would make sense.
While 5k may seem aggressive, that is why I use Mobil 1, from the big box stores it's cheap.
Every 'Toy' forum I have been on, oil is a main tread because it is important.

100% for Mobil1 full synthetic. I had to drive my jeep for 6 hours all while the coolant was going out my exhaust due to a warped head (long story). Jeep actually went into lump mode a couple times due to high heat. The Mobil1 saved my block, rings and pistons. I've driven over 150,000 km since then and still don’t burn oil. Jeep says you can go 15,000 kms (9000+ miles) between changes, but I go no more than 10,000 km. I definitely avoid Amsoil. Not because it is poor quality but because of the crazy huge online campaign by the company and dealers to convince the public it is the best. So many fake news stories, studies and review sites created just to pump up Amsoil.

Whatever is the cheapest SYN but not a blend. Be careful changing the filter because the Cooler is delicate and I imagine in short supply. If I had to pay somebody it would be a drain/refill. I'll change the filter myself.

Amsoil, after reading several unbiased and biased (Amsoils) test reports I only use Amsoil. I buy it online and its only around $11 a guart with shipping. Changed every 10K even thoughit is rated for more. Still comes out clean.