Stock radio issues

TheRealLarryT

Our stock radio has not played AM/FM stations for 3 months. It still plays CD's fine. I believe SAT also is fine. Today the AM/FM option came back to life. Nothing was done to the radio these last 3 months. Does anyone have any ideas what needs to be fixed?

Haven't heard of this before, but if I had to guess base on the symptoms you're describing, I would think your head unit is going bad.

Haven't heard of this before, but if I had to guess base on the symptoms you're describing, I would think your head unit is going bad.
Thank you. Several months ago we replaced the radio with a new Kenwood. Did not help. Returned the new radio and put old one back in. Do you think the AM/FM antenna cable might be the problem?

Thank you. Several months ago we replaced the radio with a new Kenwood. Did not help. Returned the new radio and put old one back in. Do you think the AM/FM antenna cable might be the problem?

Ahhh, if that's the case, then yeah, I suspect it may indeed be the cable or the connection with the cable.

No problem, report back if that ends up being the issue, I'm curious to know.
Took the Jeep to a car stereo shop today. They confirmed radio was bad and that antenna cable was good. Suggested we replace the radio($440). However, they could not guarantee the new radio would fix the problem. They thought a new amp ($150) might also be needed. Since they really couldn't pinpoint the problem, we opted to save our money and live with it as is. We can buy a lot of Sirius for $590.

Took the Jeep to a car stereo shop today. They confirmed radio was bad and that antenna cable was good. Suggested we replace the radio($440). However, they could not guarantee the new radio would fix the problem. They thought a new amp ($150) might also be needed. Since they really couldn't pinpoint the problem, we opted to save our money and live with it as is. We can buy a lot of Sirius for $590.
I’ll say so! Though I will admit that a nice CarPlay capable head unit is next on my list.

Our stock radio has not played AM/FM stations for 3 months. It still plays CD's fine. I believe SAT also is fine. Today the AM/FM option came back to life. Nothing was done to the radio these last 3 months. Does anyone have any ideas what needs to be fixed?

I was wondering if you ever found a remedy for the AM/FM radio issue. I just bought a 16 JK and the reception is very poor. I was thinking it may just be an antenna issue, but haven't put any effort in this yet.

Unfortunately, the radio defies a solution. I suspect that the AM/FM antenna wiring is the culprit. I have contacted local sound shops. Have offered to buy a new replacement radio. But , if that doesn't fix the problem & rewiring the antenna does, then I'd want them to reinstall the old radio. They would not guarantee this. Also, a new replacement radio would not have full functionality with steering wheel controls and all speakers. Decided to go with SAT radio only and CD's.

Unfortunately, the radio defies a solution. I suspect that the AM/FM antenna wiring is the culprit. I have contacted local sound shops. Have offered to buy a new replacement radio. But , if that doesn't fix the problem & rewiring the antenna does, then I'd want them to reinstall the old radio. They would not guarantee this. Also, a new replacement radio would not have full functionality with steering wheel controls and all speakers. Decided to go with SAT radio only and CD's.

I have a similar issue, I cannot get most stations without static (I even drove next to the tower of a station and went outwards). Luckily I have Apple CarPlay so I use Spotify more than I would radio.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully a remedy will be found. SAT radio is a good option though. Mine is probably just the short after market antenna that's on there. I'll probably do some research and get another antenna. Maybe my solution will be simple... not holding my breath on that!