Stock bumper deterioration

gatorman98

Happy Friday-ladies and gents.
Likely a rookie question-but I am in Florida-2016 JK isn't garaged so naturally there is some chalking on the bumpers and a little less so on the fenders. Usually I use Mothers Back to Black or Meguiars and it looks good and lasts a few weeks. However this time I ended up with this less than stellar result (attached.) Anyone have any ideas why this occurred after this much time? Trying to avoid buying aluminum bumpers. Much appreciated.

badbumperbad.jpg

The only way to get rid of that is sand it down and paint it with a paint like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073T7FQ23/?tag=jkforum-20 (this is an amazing paint by the way and a dead on match for factory bumper color)

Or you can simply buy new replacement parts for the bumper. No other way to get rid of that as Back to Black is not permanent and will need to be applied regularly.

In the future apply this stuff from the time the part is new and it will protect against UV rays and deterioration:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KN0UOEE/?tag=jkforum-20

Reactions: Anybodyhome
The plastic and/or poly trim parts on any vehicles are very much like your own skin. You leave it in the sun or continually use soap or a cleaner on it and it becomes dry, loses its luster and needs attention. It's a porous material and the natural or applied oils and moisture applied helps keep its color, flexibility and shape.
I haven't gone to the extent Chris has, and the products he shows are as good as it gets for bringing back your trim work. You just have to remember every time you run it through the car wash or put soap on it to clean it up, you're gonna have to treat it afterwards.
I've been using Back to Black for years and recently began using the newer aerosol version, which lasts a lot longer then the gel version, btw. Wife used to complain about the step rail being slippery, but the aerosol version isn't bad.

And here's another tip for the homeowners out there- the stuff also works on your window shutters, if you have the PVC or vinyl type. Regardless of color, you can spray it on and it'll bring the color back to life immediately.

The plastic and/or poly trim parts on any vehicles are very much like your own skin. You leave it in the sun or continually use soap or a cleaner on it and it becomes dry, loses its luster and needs attention. It's a porous material and the natural or applied oils and moisture applied helps keep its color, flexibility and shape.
I haven't gone to the extent Chris has, and the products he shows are as good as it gets for bringing back your trim work. You just have to remember every time you run it through the car wash or put soap on it to clean it up, you're gonna have to treat it afterwards.
I've been using Back to Black for years and recently began using the newer aerosol version, which lasts a lot longer then the gel version, btw. Wife used to complain about the step rail being slippery, but the aerosol version isn't bad.

And here's another tip for the homeowners out there- the stuff also works on your window shutters, if you have the PVC or vinyl type. Regardless of color, you can spray it on and it'll bring the color back to life immediately.
The aerosol version works huh? Good to know.

The aerosol version works huh? Good to know.
It works, and it lasts longer than the gel version. But there is a catch- you'll use most of the spray can in one application. I bought a can and put in on probably 6-8 weeks ago and it still looks good. Waiting for a little un-winter like weather so I can clean up the Rhino and put another application on. I'll let you know if it gets me 2 complete applications.

Reactions: Largehit71
Plastic painting is trickier than metal painting and you must do this on summer days.
Before you spray the paint you have to apply their primer etch product, and prior to the etch prep, degrease it with a dish soap, rinse it with warm water, dry it up and heat the plastic with the use of a hair dryer evenly and very thoroughly, there is a film on the plastic polymer that does not like the slightest non-polymer paints.

Check craigslist or something similar, hell I have a couple in my yard. People replace their bumpers quite often and just want them gone. $50 probably

Reactions: mrjp