Steering Stabilizer

Burghermike

Supporting Member
Looking for a new JK steering stabilizer for a 2014 . Running 35's with Currie Currect lync . What's recommended, what is good and what's the difference? currently have a sky jacker on there and it seems spent. Not a whole lot of resistance to the plunger.
Help is greatly appreciated

The steering stabilizer doesn't do as much as some would like to believe. For instance, take your steering stabilizer off completely, go drive around for a day or two, then tell me if you notice a difference. You shouldn't notice anything at all honestly.

That being said, the factory steering stabilizer is just fine. If you want something bling just for the looks, go with a Fox unit or similar. However, DO NOT fall victim to the dual steering stabilizer bullshit that so many of these companies try to push onto consumers who simply do not know any better.

For something cheap and effective, go with a stabilizer like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006D9WHU8/?tag=jkforum-20

For something with more bling factor (but no more performance) go with this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G4X1D1C/?tag=jkforum-20

Some would argue that that Fox unit is super high performance, but I would laugh at that claim. It's a steering stabilizer. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for the quick response. Does this really require more info or am I just reading too much into this. Why even put one on? I never have tried driving a jeep w/o one. I guess I should try. I would think the suppressor would do just that, squash or mute energy between the tie rod and drag link. I can still say the shock itself seems to have an Way to easy travel. Plunging seems weak.

The stabilizer isn't required for the steering to function properly, or soundly. But it dampens the vibrations, and forces in order to prolong the life of the linkage.

Thanks for the quick response. Does this really require more info or am I just reading too much into this. Why even put one on? I never have tried driving a jeep w/o one. I guess I should try. I would think the suppressor would do just that, squash or mute energy between the tie rod and drag link. I can still say the shock itself seems to have an Way to easy travel. Plunging seems weak.

You're reading too much into it.

If you've ever ridden a motorcycle, you'll notice most of them have a small steering stabilizer on them. This absorbs small vibrations in the road so that it isn't felt as much when riding the motorcycle. It's the same in a Jeep, just to a much lesser degrees, as the Jeep steering isn't nearly as sensitive as a motorcycle.

Also keep in mind that the stock steering stabilizer is hydraulic (oil filled), not gas charged like most of the aftermarket ones. That being said, it should be very easy to push the shaft in by hand, whereas on a gas charged unit, the shaft is much more difficult (sometimes impossible) to put in by hand.

What you're describing to me sounds completely normal.

Pushing and pulling a shock/stabilizer by hand is subjective. I’m sure the manufacturer has specs for the amount of psi used to move the piston for quality control.
In my experience a simple hydraulic shock is bad if you feel dead spots. In other words the resistance goes away when collapsing the piston.

Reactions: Chris