Spark plug question

jarviss88

i'm looking at the how to section, specifically the:
"How to change spark plugs and spark plug wires on a Jeep Wrangler JK 3.8"

I had a generic question...are spark plugs...just spark plugs? Is there an added benefit by getting some certain brand name costly ones? or do i just go down to the parts store and tell them i need spark plugs for my 08 wrangler sahara unlimited and i get what i get?

I don't mind spending a little more for quality...but my jeep is in no way some kind of "show car"...it's not pretty and if the extra money is just for looks, i'll forgo that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers!

Most parts stores will give you OEM parts when you tell them what you need, unless you ask for something different. I know this could be hard to believe but if you don't get a plug close to what the OEM is you could get a check engine light then you'll have to buy the correct set. So it might be worth it to just the correct OEM.

Reactions: BigAL07
As far as spark plugs go, get OEM plugs (or whatever the recommended OEM spark plug is).

There are so many plugs out there, but unless you're running a very socialized setup, you want to stick with the stock plugs. Colder plugs, hotter plugs, dual tipped plugs, etc. They're all unnecessary on your Jeep engine, and some will cause running issues as well.

Stick with the OEM recommended plugs for a hassle free experience.

I don't know who actually makes "Mopar" plugs and they don't sell them at the auto parts store...only dealer or online. I usually buy NGK or Champion. Anyone know the correct OEM type part no.'s for those?

You'd hate to have issues with spark plugs, given that they aren't as easily accessible on these JK engines as they are on the older 4.0 for instance :LOL:

Roger that.

I changed mine the first time with a lot of confidence.
Only to find out I forgot to put back the heat barrier foam.
Took it apart again and cursed some more :)

Got the plugs and wires today - Bosch double platinum which crossed to OE. I noticed that one of my plug wire boots at the coil pack is a different color than the rest. Seems like whoever did this last could not get at the rear plug on the passenger side and just decided to leave it. I am beginning to learn that changing these plugs is going to be a royal pain! I was going to pull one of the "easy" plugs to look and see what I have now, but I couldn't even get the boot off the plug - stuck? I need to buy some spark plug wire pliers, which I have never needed before. Anyone got any tips or horror stories about doing this job? I need to do some more research.

Ours is a 2010 with the 3.8 and other than a little trouble with a couple of the boots, I didn't think it was that bad to get to the plugs themselves. I think I used a short extension on the passenger side and that was it. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Ours is a 2010 with the 3.8 and other than a little trouble with a couple of the boots, I didn't think it was that bad to get to the plugs themselves. I think I used a short extension on the passenger side and that was it. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
Yep, the 3.8 is actually pretty easy. Especially compared to the 3.6 nightmare plug change.

Reactions: BigAL07