Something is up

SteveF

U.S. Coast Guard Retired
Supporting Member
So I've had my 2015JKU for just over 3 yrs now. I never had any death wobble issues. Now I'm starting to experience small episodes of death wobble after hitting a bump in the road. It doesn't happen all the time. I can still get on the highway and do 70 without any issues. Any ideas what could be wearing out? I don't want to know but I do have to know

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Check the torque on your control arms and track bar and make sure your axles are centered. Then I'd check ball joints and maybe even look at wheel bearings.

And, when I saw your thread title, "Something is up....", I immediately assumed you have the same daylight savings time issues I do- nobody has figured out how to explain moving your clock back to the dogs.

Check the torque on your control arms and track bar and make sure your axles are centered. Then I'd check ball joints and maybe even look at wheel bearings.

And, when I saw your thread title, "Something is up....", I immediately assumed you have the same daylight savings time issues I do- nobody has figured out how to explain moving your clock back to the dogs.
It's really very simple. What we're doing is essentially the chronological equivalent of cutting 12" off one end of a blanket and sewing it to the other to make it longer.

The very first thing I would try is to go to an empty, level parking lot, aim at a point on the far end, and start the jeep rolling. Once you have stabilized the direction, let go the steering wheel and begin to accelerate slowly. Watch to see if the jeep shows any tendency to veer to one side. Then, if it remains stable, do the same thing, but brake gently and watch for a veer in direction. This will not tell you what is wrong exactly, but it should localize any problem to one side of jeep. There is also the potential that whatever you find is either indirectly related to, or not part of, the problem you are interested in. Get that addressed and see if it also fixed your first problem. After that look for play in the axle bearings and ball joints. You want to address potential problems starting with the wheels and working inward toward the steering gear. You might find a steering issue, and fixing it might mask a more serious issue where the wheels mount. Good luck.

That too, the cat is the worst