Some sort of no mess oil pan drain?

Brad

Supporting Member
Nothing that requires special tool to change the oil. That doesn't stick out to get knocked off or leak. Would like to see if anyone
on here use's one. I put one on a ML320 years ago, just can't remember.

It's not possible to have a valve that doesn't stick out any more than the plain plug does. But I've used products similar to THIS in the past without any problems. Just unscrew the cover and screw on the drain. The inside is similar to a Schrader valve. Screwing on the drain opens the valve, and the hose guides it into your catch pan.

Reactions: Brad and BLACKJKU
16-year-old daughter makes a nice mess (lol). Last time I used a product like this the drain was on the side. Oil blew everywhere. It had a 90 on the end. With the location on the 3.8 I will have to teach her better on pan location.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
16-year-old daughter makes a nice mess (lol). Last time I used a product like this the drain was on the side. Oil blew everywhere. It had a 90 on the end. With the location on the 3.8 I will have to teach her better on pan location.
Both our Jeeps are due for an oil change. So I just ordered two of the gizmos I linked above. It will be pretty hard to make a mess using it, especially if you choose the optional reusable bag. It's attached to the distal end of the hose, so when you open the valve, the oil cannot go anywhere but into the bag.

And good for you for teaching your kids how to work on cars. It saddens me how many people don't even know how to change a flat.

When I was a kid, the owners manual told you how to set the valve lash. Now it tells you not to drink the antifreeze.

• Love
Reactions: Brad
Both our Jeeps are due for an oil change. So I just ordered two of the gizmos I linked above.
I like that set up except you have to have the nipple to drain. Service I do at home oil brakes... Anything major I use a 2-post lift (I'm lucky to have this option). I will just have to remember to take the drain part with us if we go to the shop and use lift. That gizmo is US made & Vet owned.
Yes, my kids work on everything. If we don't teach them who will. The Jeep is also a 6-speed... New anti-theft device while at school.

I like that set up except you have to have the nipple to drain. Service I do at home oil brakes... Anything major I use a 2-post lift (I'm lucky to have this option). I will just have to remember to take the drain part with us if we go to the shop and use lift. That gizmo is US made & Vet owned.
Yes, my kids work on everything. If we don't teach them who will. The Jeep is also a 6-speed... New anti-theft device while at school.
Toss it in a ziplock (for neatness) and throw it in the glove box. Right next to the lugnut key everybody puts in there. If you're using it attached to the catch-bag, use a bigger ziplock and toss it into storage space under the rear carpet.

Reactions: Brad