Soft top frame removal

YJ103

We've had our JKU for 4 months and I like it more every day, BUT- I hate the way the soft top is stored when retracted in the cargo area. My wife uses this jeep as her daily driver and that means filling the back with groceries (among other things), and loading bags into/over/around this frame is a pain in the ass. Has anyone removed the soft top between uses, and is it worth it? Being the first summer we've had this jeep we've really only removed the panels when its nice out, and for the most part thats how it will mostly be used. We have another '95 without a top or doors if we feel the urge to go topless.

We recently removed our hardtop on our '15 and have been considering soft top options, but like you already mentioned, the whole thing is an eyesore and a pain in the neck when folded down.
We also have a TJ that we run w/o doors or top for most of the year so the 'need' for open-air driving can be assigned to that Jeep.
I'm considering the NX-type top that doesn't have the rear frame to contend with on the JKU, but I'm taking baby steps towards that purchase by going with just a sun shade for now (instead of the safari-type top); both of which eliminate the bundled top laying across the rear of the tub.

You could probably get efficient at removing the top, provided it's a 2010 or new top (with the cable system, and not the old plastic runners retention above the doors)
These newer tops have a slotted piece where the top connects to the rear roll cages. Two screws either side and it will come right off. Make sure the top gets bound closed and the spring system is locked in place. There should be a plastic strap to lock it in place.

This is a pain in the but doing it alone, but with two people you could probably do it pretty fast after a couple of times doing it. I'm still going to call it not worth it.

That being said. If I need to use the back of the jeep for something, I just quickly put the top up and drive around safari style. I've gotten to the point where I don't even disconnect the two rear corners form the tub so I can pop the top up in less than a minute. This will probably be your best option.

On a related note. When you put the top down, or rather the first step of folding the front back before unlocking it from the rail in the middle, make sure that you get the top out from the folding brackets. It's the one thing I don't like about the tops, is that when you first fold the top back, the material gets pinched by the folding of the frame. You are supposed to get it out of the pinch and create a sideways "W" with the folds of the cloth. If done correctly the top lays much nicer when folded all the way back. It still gets in the way for tailgate use, but you should be able to see the third brake light through the rear view mirror. Most of the videos about putting a soft top down will talk about the "W" thing.

This all changes if you have one of the older style tops from a 2007 -2009. You will know you do if the top requires you to slot plastic runners into the door surrounds.