Snow chain recommendations for 33" KO2 tires

I don't use tire chains, and haven't since the '70's. But I am curious. What does driving on a 2 lane road have to do with anything?

Tire chains such as Pewag Chains that have the cam lock tighteners are probably the best ones. There are also other brands out there that have the cam locks. I've used them for many years while working for the major California Utility and working in the Sierras. And yes, even 4x4's are required to carry chains during the winter whenever traveling areas that could have chain controls. You should be able to get chains at a Napa Auto Parts, Les Schwab Tires etc. TireChain.com if you choose to shop online. Make sure you pre-fit your tire chains in your driveway/garage before heading out on a trip so that they fit properly, as you don't want to be doing this on the side of the highway.

Tire chains such as Pewag Chains that have the cam lock tighteners are probably the best ones. There are also other brands out there that have the cam locks. I've used them for many years while working for the major California Utility and working in the Sierras. And yes, even 4x4's are required to carry chains during the winter whenever traveling areas that could have chain controls. You should be able to get chains at a Napa Auto Parts, Les Schwab Tires etc. TireChain.com if you choose to shop online. Make sure you pre-fit your tire chains in your driveway/garage before heading out on a trip so that they fit properly, as you don't want to be doing this on the side of the highway.
Interesting. Colorado has a chain law, but it does not require chains on 4x4 or AWD vehicles if they're equipped with M&S tires with adequate tread depth (I think it's 3/16" but I am not totally sure.).

California has what they call "R3" conditions, that require chains on all vehicles including 4x4 vehicles. But they will shut down the roads if the conditions get to that point. All vehicles are required to carry chains during winter if travelling in an area that could have chain control. Also a vehicle towing a trailer (even 4x4) must chain up once the conditions goes to R1. If the trailer has brakes, then you must chain one axle of the trailer also.
Even though chains may not be required, I've seen many times where a vehicle without chains has caused problems on the road, because of lack of knowledge and skill to drive in those conditions.

Reactions: Duster
California has what they call "R3" conditions, that require chains on all vehicles including 4x4 vehicles. But they will shut down the roads if the conditions get to that point. All vehicles are required to carry chains during winter if travelling in an area that could have chain control. Also a vehicle towing a trailer (even 4x4) must chain up once the conditions goes to R1. If the trailer has brakes, then you must chain one axle of the trailer also.
Even though chains may not be required, I've seen many times where a vehicle without chains has caused problems on the road, because of lack of knowledge and skill to drive in those conditions.
Makes sense, in California. We get a lot more practice. :)

Yeah it's nuts there. I can't stand the place anymore. It's always an adventure going over Donner Summit (I-80) during a storm.:rolleyes:
Before I retired, I used to tell my ER friends that I would never ever get snowed in at work. I'd winch from one phone pole to the next to get home. But it sure was easy to get snowed in at home.

In reality, getting snowed in at work wasn't all that bad. You were on the clock 24 hours a day, even when sleeping, and the only people who came to the ER actually needed to be there (80% of ER visits are not emergencies) so the cases were interesting. I spent 3 days at work once. We took backboards out in the alley and used them as toboggans.

Now that I'm retired, if the roads are sketchy, I just stay home.

Before I retired, I used to tell my ER friends that I would never ever get snowed in at work. I'd winch from one phone pole to the next to get home. But it sure was easy to get snowed in at home.

In reality, getting snowed in at work wasn't all that bad. You were on the clock 24 hours a day, even when sleeping, and the only people who came to the ER actually needed to be there (80% of ER visits are not emergencies) so the cases were interesting. I spent 3 days at work once. We took backboards out in the alley and used them as toboggans.

Now that I'm retired, if the roads are sketchy, I just stay home.
I remember those days working storms before I retired, but not 3 days straight like you. My longest shift was 40 hours straight on the clock, then home for 8 hours rest, then back for another 40 hour shift. No sleep on either shift. I was rummy for several days after until I got enough rest to recover. But that was back many years ago (30+).
Funy how I look at the weather now and if it's sketchy, I just say nope, not happening today.

I remember those days working storms before I retired, but not 3 days straight like you. My longest shift was 40 hours straight on the clock, then home for 8 hours rest, then back for another 40 hour shift. No sleep on either shift. I was rummy for several days after until I got enough rest to recover. But that was back many years ago (30+).
Funy how I look at the weather now and if it's sketchy, I just say nope, not happening today.
That was the Blizzard of 1997. The initial storm dropped 3 feet of snow in about 8 hours. Cars were just lumps.

Yeah it's nuts there. I can't stand the place anymore. It's always an adventure going over Donner Summit (I-80) during a storm.:rolleyes:
Yep. It can get cold too. One night climbing the pass from Truckee, I had to completely cover the radiator of my truck to keep the engine warm enough while running. Coming to Truckee from Reno the engine was in a decent state, but climbing the pass, the needle just started dropping.