Smitty XRC 9500

OIIIIIIIO

Hi, all.
Have a XRC 9500 and bought it new a while back. It had been on my WJ, and worked fine.

Swapped it over to my 15 JKU, and as soon as I hook it up to battery, the Jeep goes dead electronically. Not even the odometer will light up. The winch will work while everything else is dead.

New battery on it, within last 3 months.

I unhook the winch from battery and it's back to normal.

Anyone run into this before?
I searched posts for this problem and didn't find anything.

Thanks, in advance.

The first thing to rule out is the primary clamp connection. When I bought my JK the clamp wasn't seated all the way and I had a few instances where the vehicle acted like it had a dead battery. I took a hammer and a socket and tapped it on so the base was completely seated and it's been fine since. Depending how you are attaching your winch connections you could be creating/aggravating this scenario by twisting or tilting the clamps. It's the stupidest clamp design I've ever experienced. To look at it you'd swear it's fine - mine was only raised 1/16" or so. That's all it takes to have intermittent contact. Others have changed theirs which is something I will ultimately do as well...

Reactions: OIIIIIIIO
Swap the battery clamps. They're junk. When I added the winch to my 15, the cables from the winch were thick and stiff. Even thought I had the clamps tight, they would move on the posts ever so slightly. I ditched the clamps and got a yellow top too. Zero issues ever since.

Swap the battery clamps. They're junk. When I added the winch to my 15, the cables from the winch were thick and stiff. Even thought I had the clamps tight, they would move on the posts ever so slightly. I ditched the clamps and got a yellow top too. Zero issues ever since.
Funny you mentioned the Yellow Top ...that's what's in the WJ. I'll look into some new clamps, as well.