Slow Oil Cooler Leak?

swj97

I have a 2014 Jk and noticed while under the hood today there is a puddle of oil under my oil cooler/oil filter housing but no leakage on the ground to my knowledge and my oil usage seems to be normal. I am aware of the jk's issues with oil cooler leaks and with it being a somewhat difficult/expensive process I wanted to get an idea if I am not seeing leakage on the ground is it something that needs immediate attention or can it wait?

It needs attention sooner rather than later. Get yourself an aluminum oil cooler now. They're really not that expensive. This way, if you do decide to hold off on the install, you won't have to wait for your cooler to arrive too. Just my .02 cents

I have a 2014 Jk and noticed while under the hood today there is a puddle of oil under my oil cooler/oil filter housing but no leakage on the ground to my knowledge and my oil usage seems to be normal. I am aware of the jk's issues with oil cooler leaks and with it being a somewhat difficult/expensive process I wanted to get an idea if I am not seeing leakage on the ground is it something that needs immediate attention or can it wait?
Leaks won't get better with time... How many miles on your JK?

There's no such thing as "normal" oil usage in modern engines. If you're adding oil, something is wrong.

There's no such thing as "normal" oil usage in modern engines. If you're adding oil, something is wrong.
All engines use oil depending on a number of factors. The piston ring to borewall interface is not a perfect seal. Normal will be based on - the actual frequency, amount, mileage, drive cycle, etc.

That being said, most people don't check their oil and there is a ~1 quart tolerance so if you were lower than the full mark it wouldn't be an absolute requirement to add oil...

Just an example. 10k mile per quart oil usage is good on a low mileage, healthy engine. Throughout the engine life this may errode to something like 5k per quart. Still totally acceptable... If you change oil every 5k miles you would be down 1/2 quart at 2500miles (halfway between changes) and a diligent owner may add oil to keep it closer to the full mark. This addition of oil would not be regarded as an issue whatsoever.

Now, if you are going below the low mark within the span of an oil change I would agree to that being abnormal.

I won't get into variances in usage through the PCV system, but that is another normal source of oil usage in a modern engine...

All engines use oil depending on a number of factors. The piston ring to borewall interface is not a perfect seal. Normal will be based on - the actual frequency, amount, mileage, drive cycle, etc.

That being said, most people don't check their oil and there is a ~1 quart tolerance so if you were lower than the full mark it wouldn't be an absolute requirement to add oil...

Just an example. 10k mile per quart oil usage is good on a low mileage, healthy engine. Throughout the engine life this may errode to something like 5k per quart. Still totally acceptable... If you change oil every 5k miles you would be down 1/2 quart at 2500miles (halfway between changes) and a diligent owner may add oil to keep it closer to the full mark. This addition of oil would not be regarded as an issue whatsoever.

Now, if you are going below the low mark within the span of an oil change I would agree to that being abnormal.

I won't get into variances in usage through the PCV system, but that is another normal source of oil usage in a modern engine...
I change my oil once per year. I never get below the full mark. I have 110,000 miles on the engine. Her jeep, with 199,000 miles on it, also gets changed annually. It gets oil added, because there is a slight leak from the rear main. I'll fix it when the engine needs a rebuild. My Corvette gets the oil changed after each track day, but it never needs any added either.

Reactions: tJKrider
I change my oil once per year. I never get below the full mark. I have 110,000 miles on the engine. Her jeep, with 199,000 miles on it, also gets changed annually. It gets oil added, because there is a slight leak from the rear main. I'll fix it when the engine needs a rebuild. My Corvette gets the oil changed after each track day, but it never needs any added either.
Yep, not surprising. I've had many vehicles that hardly use any oil within the oil change period. You didn't say how many miles you drive, though, which I'm guessing is low if you are on a yearly change schedule.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Yep, not surprising. I've had many vehicles that hardly use any oil within the oil change period. You didn't say how many miles you drive, though, which I'm guessing is low if you are on a yearly change schedule.
Not particularly low. The oil is rated for 20,000 miles or 1 year. Our work commute (before we retired) was good for about 19,000 miles per year all by itself. We're still doing around 12,000 miles a year, just for regular driving and road trips.

Reactions: tJKrider