Should the shifter area be a illuminated?

TM2401

simple question really. I bought my 2017 JK used.... is there supposed to be internal lighting for the shifting area. There is no lighting to see the 4wd shifting and regular shifting levers. Do I have a burned out light or is that just the design?

Daddyo2373

JK Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Our problem was the window buttons. We couldn't see them at night so I added a single LED from Amazon. It lights up the shifters and cup holders too.
20191221_195032.jpg

Reactions: Jino and DSAINT1347

Old Hippie

I had wondered the same thing about my used JKU '07. Figured it was a bulb or a short/dirty contact. Smacked straight down on the shift lever with an open palm. Shazam! Got lights now. Love a cheap fix.

• Haha
Reactions: Jino and Chris

JerryD

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporting Member
Reactions: mrjp and Jino

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
It's a 2721 wedge base, 1.2W bulb and it really doesn't have the wattage necessary to light everything up the way most would prefer.
Sylvania makes a 2721LL (long life) that's available in a 2-pack at Advance Auto for about $6.00

Daddyo2373

JK Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
How did you add the led?

I'd love a dim purple led, something not so bright. But I don't see anywhere to add it.
Mines a 2016.
I just bought a flush mount 12v LED from Amazon. Removed the bezel and drilled a small hole, then just spliced the led wires in with the other dash light wires.

Reactions: Jino