Should I get a 2017 JK or a 2018 JL?

Hotrodguy34

Will be new to jeeps. Thinking wrangler unlimited Sahara.

Question is should I get a 2017 jk or a 2018 jl?
I've heard of reliability problems with the jk.
I don't care about the upgrades to the 2018 jl, just looking mostly for reliability issues.
What's your thoughts about jk vs jl?
Thanks in advance.
Chuck

Will be new to jeeps. Thinking wrangler unlimited Sahara.

Question is should I get a 2017 jk or a 2018 jl?
I've heard of reliability problems with the jk.
I don't care about the upgrades to the 2018 jl, just looking mostly for reliability issues.
What's your thoughts about jk vs jl?
Thanks in advance.
Chuck

I would think that by 2017 they found all the bugs and would have gotten them out at the Factory.

Reactions: ttchad and mrjp
I honestly don't know. But the electronics for the creature comforts would have changed as well as the fit and finish of the body. They did have a frame recall IIRC early JLs, too

I have a 2017 JKU and like it No problems so far. I agree with not buying the first year run of a new model

IMG_3698.jpeg

There were tons of reported issues with the JL. I much prefer the interior, but you will have issues and it will cost a ton more.

The 3.6 Jks are very reliable. The 3.8s...eh...some people don't have issues, some do. I would only get a 3.6 (2012-2018.5 (2018 was a split year)).

Reactions: mrjp
JK

The first several years of the JL seem to be very prone to issues, some minor, but some quite big.

I wouldn't bother buying a JL unless it was a 2020 or later.

If you were over here in Naples Italy I 'd have a great deal for you. 2015 340000 mile JK Rubicon completely stock. Tired of paying taxes and insurance on it. Pulled out of the garage once a week for a 30 mile highway run. Nobody uses a garage here so I have to park my other 2 cars down the street in order to pull out the jeep.

JK

The first several years of the JL seem to be very prone to issues, some minor, but some quite big.

I wouldn't bother buying a JL unless it was a 2020 or later.

Like the OP I've been torn between a late model JK or a used JL. I always hated the look of the JK and said I would never buy one. I think the JL is much improved look and I'd rather have a JL. However, as always, cost is an issue. So, like the OP, that leaves me looking at first or 2nd model year JLs. I've always said to never purchase a 1st year vehicle. However, in the case of the JL, it seems that needs to be pushed all the way back into the 3rd year. From what I have seen, the JL has had issues with the frame in the first year. They fixed that, but they also had issues with the steering box that they didn't address until some time in 2020. And then it just seems like there are more electrical concerns. If any one has a comprehensive list of recalls and other issues to watch for on the new JL, I would love to see that list. If it doesn't persuade me to get a JK instead of a JL at least I will know what to look for in detail.

@mrjp that is a beautiful Recon. That is currently the Jeep that I would most prefer to purchase right now.

Like the OP I've been torn between a late model JK or a used JL. I always hated the look of the JK and said I would never buy one. I think the JL is much improved look and I'd rather have a JL. However, as always, cost is an issue. So, like the OP, that leaves me looking at first or 2nd model year JLs. I've always said to never purchase a 1st year vehicle. However, in the case of the JL, it seems that needs to be pushed all the way back into the 3rd year. From what I have seen, the JL has had issues with the frame in the first year. They fixed that, but they also had issues with the steering box that they didn't address until some time in 2020. And then it just seems like there are more electrical concerns. If any one has a comprehensive list of recalls and other issues to watch for on the new JL, I would love to see that list. If it doesn't persuade me to get a JK instead of a JL at least I will know what to look for in detail.

@mrjp that is a beautiful Recon. That is currently the Jeep that I would most prefer to purchase right now.
Recons are the way to go if you can find them. 😉

IMG_1864.jpg

There are frame issues, but I've also seen lots of paint related issues, electronic issues, etc.

It would seem they still haven't worked some of them out to be honest. All I know is I'm very skeptical of JLs even to this day based off all I've read.

Reactions: Fargo and mrjp
Another thing to look at is that you will be able to get quite a bit more jeep for your money if you go JK. Rubicon JK for the price of a Sport JL.

To be fair, I haven't fact checked that, but I'm probably not far off.

The JL transmission is supposed to be far better than the JKs, but it is the same engine.

Another thing to look at is that you will be able to get quite a bit more jeep for your money if you go JK. Rubicon JK for the price of a Sport JL.

To be fair, I haven't fact checked that, but I'm probably not far off.

The JL transmission is supposed to be far better than the JKs, but it is the same engine.
I've actually looked at that option. A JL Sport can actually be $3,000-$5,000 cheaper than a fully loaded JK Recon. But it is similar in price to a standard JKUR with leather and many other upgraded features. So are you willing to give up lockers, leather and other features to get a new JL? The JL gives you a fantastic 8 speed auto and with all the electronic traction control features that can get close to providing the traction of lockers. The JL also has stronger axles over a regular JK. You can always regear, add lockers, or even instal catskinz leather to the JL as well. But that all takes more time and money down the road. So I see pros and cons to each. Do you want a newer platform or do you want luxury features and Rubicon hardware? The JL has problems but once things like the frame and steering box are fixed under warranty you should be good to go right?... I think that is the big question. What other problems are lurking underneath unknown.

So for me the decision so often comes back to the reliability of the JL. The JK is proven and known. But its not perfect either. There have been issues with ball joints and other things too. But the list of concerns on the JL seem to be longer and causes me more concern for a long term Jeep. The JK has known issues, the JL still has to prove its reliability.

My 3.6 JK complaint. I'd like to be able to set fan speed and temps. I have a manual and in slow or stop & go traffic I turn on the AC to start the fan or defroster to maintain a 205-210 temp. I think the ECU turns it on at 235. Certain years may give you more control over fan speed, shift points, traction control and other rubicon features.

The NSG370 6spd Trans- is not bad with syn gear oil. I went thinner and it shifts great in cold weather but has a little gear rattle when warm. Apply a little pressure on the shifter and you no longer hear it. It does sound like a clutch rattle if you don't know better. FYI clutches are expensive!

@Hotrodguy34 - Congratulations! I somehow missed that you made your purchase. Put in some pictures when you get a chance. I'm probably out a year yet until I make a purchase. So I'll be stuggling through this for a little while yet. But if I was to buy today, I think I would get the JK as well. To many issues with the JL concern me.

@ttchad - I think my 2005 LJ has the same 6spd and has the same rattle when idling. Depress the clutch and it goes away. I'm always a little concerned about it.

@Hotrodguy34 - Congratulations! I somehow missed that you made your purchase. Put in some pictures when you get a chance. I'm probably out a year yet until I make a purchase. So I'll be stuggling through this for a little while yet. But if I was to buy today, I think I would get the JK as well. To many issues with the JL concern me.

@ttchad - I think my 2005 LJ has the same 6spd and has the same rattle when idling. Depress the clutch and it goes away. I'm always a little concerned about it.
at idle without the clutch engaged. Apply a little pressure to the shifter. If it gets quiet you are fine. No change at all means the spring holding your throwout probably has lost tension & is rattling on the shaft that holds it in place.

Centerforce has a nice video that shows exactly what is going on. It does not mean your clutch is going to fail or fallout.

Reactions: Fargo