Should I buy a JK with a dirty engine bay?

bertis_1777

HI All,

I looked at a 2014 JK wrangler today with 110K in Australia, which seemed to be alright in all area's except the top of the engine bay was very dirty and oily. The fluids and levels seemed to be ok, was owned by a non-mechanically minded 20yo girl. Would you think at least one mechanical failure has happened in this area? I would suspect maybe power steering?

Just wondering if it would be enough to deter you guys from buying?

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 9.01.59 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 9.02.29 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 9.19.04 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-20 at 9.19.39 PM.jpeg

It would not deter me.

Shoot, my engine bay makes that look fairly clean. :ROFLMAO: ( I haven't had time to detail it from all the muddy summer trips 😁)

Reactions: Jino
Looks pretty typical of a 110k vehicle of any sort.
The engine bay gives me less cause for concern than the previous owner being a 20 year old individual. Was the PO a responsible vehicle owner? Was the JK cared for properly with timely oil changes and other planned maintenance, or did she just drive it for 110k and neglect the maintenance?

At 100k is when major maintenance is recommended, any receipt?
You said oil on engine, with a good light look down into the cavity by the oil filler cap. Sometimes the oil cooler spring a leak.

Pull the dip sticks and radiator cap to make sure the fluids look good
Turn on the key but don't start. Wait to see if the Service Engine light Blinks. It shouldn't.

Both my Jeeps engine bays are filthy at the moment. TJ runs lovely and the JK was well cared for by an old friend, who I bought it from. Do your diligence and check it out thoroughly or have a shop do a once over. "Chrisfix" (YouTuber) has a fantastic video on how to check over a used vehicle- worth giving it a view.

@Fusilea nice before and after! Whats your method?

Reactions: mrjp
I took all the plastics off to clean with the usual car wash soap. Then simply used a couple of damp rags to wipe everything down. Then used small amounts to mothers protectant to give everything a good wipe down. Now I wipe it down every couple of washes.