Scan Tool For Inspecting JK's

lutey

Hey guys.. I think Jscan is the recommended scan tools for wranglers. My only issue is that to get full capability you need to purchase a license for the VIN. I want to have a tool that I can use that's not VIN specific that I can use when inspecting jeeps that i'm considering purchasing. I'm a newbee with this stuff.. but want a tool that allows me to see if codes have been cleared or if the battery was disconnected to clear a code.. and the vehicle is not ready for emissions testing. Also, I'd like the tool to indicated coolant temperature instead of the gauge. Not sure what other things I should also be checking with the tool when inspecting. Thanks for any advice !!

In regards to know about if the system is ready for smog ready turn the key on, but don’t start it. The dash lights will light up. All the lights will go off except the CEL, wait for about 15 seconds if the CEL flashes about 10 times and comes on steady either it’s not ready for emission testing or the battery has recently been disconnected.

For the other items need to purchase a OBDII scanner. If you want to read ABS codes be sure to pick one that has thatfunction included.

Also, some JK have the ability to display the coolant temp in real time, just need to flip through the options with the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
In regards to know about if the system is ready for smog ready turn the key on, but don’t start it. The dash lights will light up. All the lights will go off except the CEL, wait for about 15 seconds if the CEL flashes about 10 times and comes on steady either it’s not ready for emission testing or the battery has recently been disconnected.

For the other items need to purchase a OBDII scanner. If you want to read ABS codes be sure to pick one that has thatfunction included.

Also, some JK have the ability to display the coolant temp in real time, just need to flip through the options with the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel.
Huh.. do you know if there is a specific year or trim where this function is included. Thanks much !!.. as well as the info on readiness for smog.. really cool !!

Huh.. do you know if there is a specific year or trim where this function is included. Thanks much !!.. as well as the info on readiness for smog.. really cool !!
I assume you are referring to the ABS? I think the vast majority of cars have ABS these days, if not all of them. My LJ (2006) does not have ABS but I am not sure of the specifics when it became mandatory (i think it is now days). I am 99% positive any JK you look at will have ABS. When looking at scanners you need to confirm it has the ability to read for ABS codes.

Reactions: lutey
I assume you are referring to the ABS? I think the vast majority of cars have ABS these days, if not all of them. My LJ (2006) does not have ABS but I am not sure of the specifics when it became mandatory (i think it is now days). I am 99% positive any JK you look at will have ABS. When looking at scanners you need to confirm it has the ability to read for ABS codes.
Sorry I wasn't specific. I was talking about the ability to read the engine/coolant temperature on the display.

Sorry I wasn't specific. I was talking about the ability to read the engine/coolant temperature on the display.
I am not sure which models have the ability to display those options. It would depend on model and maybe any packages each dealer adds to the package.