Rusty bumpers

CodyP

So this Jeep must have seen some water cause the powder coating is all chipped off the bumpers and rusty. I cleaned up what I could and threw some rust inhibitor on it. Thinking of just leaving it as is or putting raptor liner on it to make the texture uniform.
EAD3EC44-F7EE-4B43-98CA-A281B5429B16.jpeg
948EB1B7-772B-4025-98A6-40A40C4BC171.jpeg

So this Jeep must have seen some water cause the powder coating is all chipped off the bumpers and rusty. I cleaned up what I could and threw some rust inhibitor on it. Thinking of just leaving it as is or putting raptor liner on it to make the texture uniform.View attachment 120827View attachment 120826
I raptor lined my whole truck. Pretty cool stuff. Nice clean up!

Reactions: mrjp
A little bit of surface rust on the frame and exhaust. Otherwise not bad. Just looks ugly

@ OP: Phosphoric acid before paint. That stuff does an amazing job at creating a nice clean slate for paint to adhere to.

I'll be applying phosphoric acid to my frame and power washing it in the spring. Then hitting it with Fluid Film (or the like) to keep it rust-free.

Reactions: BigAL07
@ OP: Phosphoric acid before paint. That stuff does an amazing job at creating a nice clean slate for paint to adhere to.

I'll be applying phosphoric acid to my frame and power washing it in the spring. Then hitting it with Fluid Film (or the like) to keep it rust-free.
Do you just spray the acid on the frame and let it sit for a couple of minutes then power wash?

Do you just spray the acid on the frame and let it sit for a couple of minutes then power wash?
I descale, if there's any flakey rust, and apply (usually 2 parts acid, 1 part Klean Strip: Concrete and metal prep -found @homedepot) and let it sit for as long as it takes to see the blackening or whitening of the rusted areas. I apply it with a spray bottle but some people use a brush. Then I power wash the areas with water. Some people use soap and water but I believe water is just fine. My thinking is the residue helps to protect the metal. For my frame, I prefer to just apply lanolin based protection. If its a bumper or accessory, (I painted a rusty spare tire delete plate) I'll prime and paint it with Rustoleum.

So far, one year with salt and snow exposure and I haven't seen a single bubble or compromise to the paint of said tailgate plate. But I also rinse the salt and crude off my Jeep shortly after roads are clear of snow and slush. I believe that helps a lot and goes a long way at protecting painted surfaces.

Reactions: Lxxtsy
I descale, if there's any flakey rust, and apply (usually 2 parts acid, 1 part Klean Strip: Concrete and metal prep -found @homedepot) and let it sit for as long as it takes to see the blackening or whitening of the rusted areas. I apply it with a spray bottle but some people use a brush. Then I power wash the areas with water. Some people use soap and water but I believe water is just fine. My thinking is the residue helps to protect the metal. For my frame, I prefer to just apply lanolin based protection. If its a bumper or accessory, (I painted a rusty spare tire delete plate) I'll prime and paint it with Rustoleum.

So far, one year with salt and snow exposure and I haven't seen a single bubble or compromise to the paint of said tailgate plate. But I also rinse the salt and crude off my Jeep shortly after roads are clear of snow and slush. I believe that helps a lot and goes a long way at protecting painted surfaces.
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Threepointsix