RPM's hanging

BLACKJKU

Staff Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
My JKU has a manual trans and when I push my clutch in when coming to a stop my RPM's will hang at whatever they were when the clutch was pushed in. Usually takes 5 -10 seconds for them to drop to idle, I try to have the RPM's low when I know i'll be stopping but not always works. When I tried to find more info out about this the only thing I found it was supposed to be this way.

Anyone one with a Manual trans have this issue also?

Based off other stuff I've read, this behavior appears to be normal for the manual transmission equipped JKs. I've heard you could get around this with a custom tuner, but I can't attest to that personally, as mine is an automatic.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Sounds like the same as I have found out, it did it when it was stock and still does it with all my mods i've done. I usually just try to have my RPM's low when I know i'll be coming to a stop.

I've never driven a manual JK, so I don't know what it's like, but my friend said his does this too (he has a manual equipped JK). Sounds kind of annoying.

The biggest annoyance to me is when you come to a stop and it's idling about 2,000 RPM's for a few seconds. Like I said just have to learn to come to a stop and have the RPM's lowbefore pushing in the clutch. But believe me it's not enough of a annoiance for me to buy a Automatic.

Reactions: Chris
I've come to find I enjoy the automatics off-road more, especially on very technical trails.

When it comes to sport cars though, I won't own anything but a manual. My Hellcat is a perfect example of that. Everyone wants the Hellcat in an auto, but I opted for a manual :)

My 2013 goes to idle as soon a I push in the clutch. My habit is that I have released the gas pedal a few second before I am coming to a stop. I will have to experiment with different methods to see if I can replicate your problem.
When ever I have a high idle problem the first thing I check is a vacuum leak. Sometimes a vacuum leak will keep the idle high, then the computer will detect a problem and make adjustments to reduce idle.

Now my 2.5l TJ would settle to 1200 rpm at a stop, the after a few seconds drop to around 8k normal idle speed. I always assumed the computer was telling the engine to be ready for acceleration.
Don

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I'll have to give that a try, my habit is to let the downshifting slow me down. When doing that the RPM's are usually high by the time I go to stop.

Check to see if there are any codes saved in the computer. If a code is generated, it will not necessarily trigger the check engine light.
I would look at the throttle control solenoid, as many vehicles have the throttle by wire. It sounds a bit nutty, but there is the possibility of that happening.

There's no codes, maybe when I get more info on how the JScan is maybe there would be something it could do to fix it.

My automatic does this but not at a stop. Only when driving. But I have 35's & 3.21 gears