Roof rack on a soft top?

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
I wish I had been able to get a photo to show that I'm not crazy, but yesterday I saw a JKU with a soft top AND a roof rack.
No, it didn't have a frame on the outside of the top, the rack appeared to be bolted through the soft top.

Is this even a thing, or has the owner possibly put holes in their top for the rack mounts?

My buddy said it must be magnetic. :ROFLMAO:

They give access this way.

mg_5849.jpg

Reactions: zinisk and Speartip
I wish I had been able to get a photo to show that I'm not crazy, but yesterday I saw a JKU with a soft top AND a roof rack.
No, it didn't have a frame on the outside of the top, the rack appeared to be bolted through the soft top.

Is this even a thing, or has the owner possibly put holes in their top for the rack mounts?

My buddy said it must be magnetic. :ROFLMAO:

I’ve never seen a setup like that either . Maybe they rigged up a metal frame support structure on the inside . If they want top down just take off the rack and leave it at home .
But I imagine there still must be some holes in the top to secure it making rainy days kinda wet on the inside .

If not the rack pictured above and no exo skeleton visible, the only thing I could think of would be like a Rhino rack bolted to the roll bars. I'd have to think if a hole was put into the soft top the wind and movement would cause that hole to get bigger and bigger. It's hard enough keeping water out of a Jeep, I can't imagine dealing with that.

A quick search shows several variations, here is a pic showing 1 version. Simple to see how it bolts up and how you could access the top. I’m not a fan.
IMG_0154.jpeg

• Face Palm
Reactions: WestCoastDan