Ring Gear Size

I have been back and fourth with the mechanic working on this for me, he’s the one who ordered the parts I’m not sure. This is just what he has told me so I’ve been questioning whether or not he’s got the right parts

I can't remember if it's measured at the bolt side or the front of the gear side. How are you measuring it if you don't have it?

I can't remember if it's measured at the bolt side or the front of the gear side. How are you measuring it if you don't have it?
I haven’t personally measured it, I’m having to go off of everything he’s telling me because I’m out of state. He ordered the wrong size a few months ago and they wouldn’t even fit in the housing. So I asked him this time what size he got and he told me it measures 8 inches

I haven’t personally measured it, I’m having to go off of everything he’s telling me because I’m out of state. He ordered the wrong size a few months ago and they wouldn’t even fit in the housing. So I asked him this time what size he got and he told me it measures 8 inches
So I’m hoping he ordered a size 8.5 and it just measures a little smaller than it’s said to be

He has to have the box still laying there if not how's he going to return it if it's the wrong one? If the first one was to small then it could have been for the front axle.

Sounds to me like you need to find a new Mechanic if he can't order the correct parts. Is he the one installing them?

He has to have the box still laying there if not how's he going to return it if it's the wrong one? If the first one was to small then it could have been for the front axle.

Sounds to me like you need to find a new Mechanic if he can't order the correct parts. Is he the one installing them?
Yes I have also come to that conclusion, I wish I had the time to type all the problems I’ve had with this guy. I’m in the military so I haven’t been able to go back home and look at what he’s been doing for myself so it’s been frustration. He is the one installing them. I’m hoping he’s done in the next few days and I’ll just have to ask for a part breakdown before I give any money. Thank you for your help!

Yes I have also come to that conclusion, I wish I had the time to type all the problems I’ve had with this guy. I’m in the military so I haven’t been able to go back home and look at what he’s been doing for myself so it’s been frustration. He is the one installing them. I’m hoping he’s done in the next few days and I’ll just have to ask for a part breakdown before I give any money. Thank you for your help!

If he can't order parts correctly I find it hard to believe he can install them correctly, it's not just a drop in and go and also depending on what gears are in it now it could need a different carrier.

If he can't order parts correctly I find it hard to believe he can install them correctly, it's not just a drop in and go and also depending on what gears are in it now it could need a different carrier.
I do believe he ordered a new carrier, my main question is if it’s possible for him to have ordered the wrong size ring gear and it still work? Or does it have to be the 8.5 inch ring for everything to fit and work?

No if the ring gear isn't for a Dana 44 it won't fit, did he order the stuff for the front axle? Depending on what model yours is they have 2 different Dana's used for the fronts.

Also I'd take it for a drive with someone riding in the back seat so they can listen for any noises coming from the rear. And don't pay him until after the drive.