Replacing running board on 08 Sahara with rock sliders

Largehit71

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
They seem to serve no purpose for me and honestly just get in the way. I’m 6’1” and do not need a step to get into my Jeep . Thinking of taking them off and installing rock sliders. My friend is telling me if I take them off it’s not a Sahara anymore. Anyway, is it a pretty straightforward procedure ? And what would be a good reasonably priced aftermarket brand? Thanks in advance for helping out a Jeep noob.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
They seem to serve no purpose for me and honestly just get in the way. I’m 6’1” and do not need a step to get into my Jeep . Thinking of taking them off and installing rock sliders. My friend is telling me if I take them off it’s not a Sahara anymore. Anyway, is it a pretty straightforward procedure ? And what would be a good reasonably priced aftermarket brand? Thanks in advance for helping out a Jeep noob.

I get ya. I'm 6'6" and I have no need for them, but the wife, at 5'5" and most everyone else I know needs them to climb up the whopping 3" lift. I take them off and she's pissed, so while I'd love to do what you're thinking, my chances are somewhere between slim and divorce.

It should be a really easy process. Should just bolt straight on.

You can probably find a set of rubicon sliders on Facebook marketplace for real cheap.

They are a simple bolt on, but the question would be- and I'm sure the chassis are identical- will the Rubicon rails bolt to the same location? Maximus installed a set on his Sport- see his post. That's a really nice look- I'm very jealous.

Reactions: Largehit71
I get ya. I'm 6'6" and I have no need for them, but the wife, at 5'5" and most everyone else I know needs them to climb up the whopping 3" lift. I take them off and she's pissed, so while I'd love to do what you're thinking, my chances are somewhere between slim and divorce.
My son would be my concern but he could climb in I believe . His mom is only 5’2” but she and I are near the end of our ride together so considerations for her are out the window.

I didn't like the factory running boards when I first got my JK.
But they do help keep the mud off the sides. Sometimes I rest my foot on it when cruising. On the 2 door they do help accessing the back seat.
I just used them to stand on while sweeping pollen off the top.
I will keep them on unless I ruin them. They don't get in the way and will help protect the sides if I get a little to close to a tree. There is steel inside that plastic.

But then again, I bought mud flaps for additional protection from stones blasting the bottom of my jeep, so I am obviously not going for style. Stones chipping the underside paint is more likely to harm my jeep in the salt belt than the possibility of getting hung up on a rock.
Don

Thinking of going with these. https://viciousoffroad.com/i-305150...MI7fafnM-M6gIVEdvACh2ntg5yEAQYCCABEgKC4fD_BwE
They look muck better than my stock ones and leaves a bit of a step for my 11 yr old son to use.
These look somewhat similar to what i have on mine. The Rubicon Recons came with these slider/steps.

But they do help keep the mud off the sides. Sometimes I rest my foot on it when cruising. On the 2 door they do help accessing the back seat.
I will keep them on unless I ruin them. They don't get in the way and will help protect the sides if I get a little to close to a tree. There is steel inside that plastic.
Don

My wife really lets me know about them after I've cleaned Desperado up and put some Back to Black on the running boards, makes them nice and slippery. Like you, I also use them to step up and stand on the rear tire when I'm loading the roof rack.

But then again, I bought mud flaps for additional protection from stones blasting the bottom of my jeep, so I am obviously not going for style. Stones chipping the underside paint is more likely to harm my jeep in the salt belt than the possibility of getting hung up on a rock.
Don
Food for thought. A little step is helpful when putting the top back up.

Going to hold off on this for a bit. Used some back to black on them and it’s night and day. They look so much better.

GenRight makes good sliders, and to be honest, the factory Rubicon Hard Rock sliders are actually very well designed as well.

Reactions: Largehit71