Replacing key fob shell

Threepointsix

JK Enthusiast
One of my Jeep keys ear loops broke. Thats the part that holds the loop that attaches to a key chain or other trinket. I'll post a photo.

I'm curious if anyone's ever replaced or transplanted the inner guts into an Amazon key and had that key cut, without having any issues?

So the guts you see in the photos will be transplanted into another shell. And since the metal key is attached to that new shelI, will have to have it cut. My thinking is that because I'm replacing the guts I should be fine. And that programming would only need to be done if it was an entirely new key with new innards.

Can anyone please confirm?
Thanks everyone ✌️

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2571.jpeg

It should work, but there are a couple alternatives.
Plastic weld to repair the loop.
Your new key already has guts. Your old key has seen some use. They do wear out. Maybe use JScan to just program the new guts?

It should work, but there are a couple alternatives.
Plastic weld to repair the loop.
Your new key already has guts. Your old key has seen some use. They do wear out. Maybe use JScan to just program the new guts?
Didn't think about plastic weld. Good suggestion. But does look ugly.

Jscan, I dont have and to be honest, going through that whole process would be a pain in the arse if I can simply transplant the guts. I figured this would work but Im skeptical knowing how sneaky manufacturers can be. But I just dont see how it wont work. The actual key is built into the plastic chasis. Unless Mopar uses a different metal, but I doubt it. All Im doing is cutting the key and that chip moves to the new chassis.

If you have two working key/fobs that are already working on your Jeep, you can program the new key with key on/off cycles to program the third key. Home Depot cut mine for me. No need for JScan to do this.
Thank you! I'll search 'how to' online. Its absolutely a good idea to have a third, even fourth key.

**UPDATE FOLLOW-UP**

Just chiming in to report that swapping the guts from my original key and cutting the new one worked. Locksmith charged me $3.25 and that was simply luck. Because two other places charge $30 and another, $25.

Here's the link for the shell incase anyone wants to order one:

Replacement for 2004-2017... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B57G773C?tag=jkforum-20