Replacement Fuel Tank

Ditch Doc

Hello from Raleigh! New here. We got our 4th Jeep a few months ago, a 2008 JK X with an AT.

From the start, we had the well-known fuel overflow / slow fill issue. Our local dealership replaced the fil tube per the TSB. This solved the overflow problem, but we still can't fill up at much more than a trickle. I'm thinking this is going to be an issue with the vent / rollover valve, so.., new tank. Mopar has the OEM number as 52059718AO. This is currently B/O and will likely require me to mortgage at least one child. However, I did find another number, 04721288AF, which is an OEM replacement tank for about half the cost. It supposedly fits, but does anyone know the difference between the two? Has anyone tried it?

As a side note, I dropped the fuel tank a month after the dealer worked on it in order to fix an existing fuel leak. Snapped the nipple off of the rollover valve in the process, but I was able to fix it using JB weld, a roll pin and this technique:
. This has likely been posted on this site in the past, but I figured I'd share in case it may help someone.

Thanks!
Doc

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Have u tried changing out the 2 hoses on the evap canister? One is the filler vent tube and the other is the purge tube. I have read about folks solving that issue by replacing those hoses. Not expensive at all. I can tell u I have a 07 rubicon that drove me bat shit crazy with a small evap leak code for years. Replaced the purge hose (small curved one from the canister toward the filler hose) 12 bucks and maybe 5 minutes. That was it! No more codes. Got from rock auto cheap. Might be worth a shot. Those are hoses that should be replaced on an older Jeep any way. Good luck brother. By the way welcome to the forum from W.Va. 🍺🍺

Greetings! I'm just east of you about 45 minutes on 64.
I've read about changing purge and vent tubes as well. Even replacing the filler tube. Also read some folks replacing the evap canister.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
I changed out my canister also when I was chasing that bastard evap code lol. My cure was the small purge hose coming off the canister. Didn’t look bad but it was. The other hose I was speaking of is called the rollover vent hose. Good luck my friend 🍺🍺

Reactions: mrjp
Sounds like solid advice. I will definitely try replacing these lines before the tank. Even if it does end up needing a tank, BigAl raises a good point about the age.

It may be a couple of weeks til I can clear the shop out to do this, but I’ll check in when it’s done. Thanks y’all!

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp