Replacement for pathetic horn?

F

FLGeezer

One thing I never checked on my newly purchased Jeep was the horn. Had a guy nearly sideswipe me today and I laid down on the horn... *meeeep* Seriously?? What a pathetic sounding horn, lol. I gotta get a more "macho" horn for this thing. I'm assuming you guys have done this so what did you buy?

I put one of these on every motorcycle I owned. They’re obnoxiously loud. People look for the semi-truck bearing down on them when used.

https://hornblasters.com/a/s/products/dual-tone-motorcycle-air-horn
Is there an electrical upgrade needed if mounted on a car system versus a motorcycle?

From the description:
"Just a heads up, this horn requires some extra juice. With an 18A load, we suggest upgrading your electrical system with the additional wiring kit to ensure trouble-free operation. Don't let that stop you from making a statement, get your Nautilus today!"

Forgive me, I don't venture into much electrical stuff unless I'm very sure of what I'm getting into. I know this: if I screw up, a) it hurts and b) ruins stuff.

Reactions: BigAL07
Is there an electrical upgrade needed if mounted on a car system versus a motorcycle?

From the description:
"Just a heads up, this horn requires some extra juice. With an 18A load, we suggest upgrading your electrical system with the additional wiring kit to ensure trouble-free operation. Don't let that stop you from making a statement, get your Nautilus today!"

Forgive me, I don't venture into much electrical stuff unless I'm very sure of what I'm getting into. I know this: if I screw up, a) it hurts and b) ruins stuff.
It takes 400-600A to start a car engine. 18A is nothing.

Think of voltage as the amount of water in a creek. Amperage is also called current, and that is a very apt term. Think of it as how fast the water is flowing. For the same volume of water (volts) to move faster (current), the creek (wiring) needs to be bigger. That's why the hot wire to your starter is so much bigger than the one going to your turn signal. Same voltage, lots more current.

Basically, if your new horn draws more current than the old one, you'll need to provide power through a bigger wire.

The additional wiring kit is a relay system to power the horn. The horn switch powers the relay on to beep the horn with horn’s power coming from the battery.
The existing horn already has a relay and, from what I've read, is a real bi*** to get to and remove if a new one is required.
The existing JK horn has a 20A fuse, so I'm assuming the relay already there will handle the 18A requirement for this one. So, do I really need anything more than a slightly heavier gauge wire to power the horn without buying the optional wiring kit?

The existing horn already has a relay and, from what I've read, is a real bi*** to get to and remove if a new one is required.
The existing JK horn has a 20A fuse, so I'm assuming the relay already there will handle the 18A requirement for this one. So, do I really need anything more than a slightly heavier gauge wire to power the horn without buying the optional wiring kit?
Probably not. If your existing horn is on a 20A circuit, you should be able to just disconnect the old horn and plug in the new one.

I bought this setup a little bit ago. Haven't installed yet.

Screenshot_20230417_060322.jpg

So I ordered the PIAA 400hz/500hz Sports Horns off Amazon. Install looks easy. Sounds good on this YT video. They compare it to a stock dual horn setup but mine only has the one puny "meep" horn so just about anything will sound better.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Swapped out the pathetic OEM "meep" horn with the dual PIAA horns. Much better.