Replacement fender wiring mistake

Joz

Hey y'all.

My boyfriend got new fenders and cut the wrong plug off the wiring harness when he was trying to replace them. He's mechanically inept but goes balls deep anyway, bless his wee jackass heart.

I am an Architect. I am not a mechanic. I am crafty, and I know tools (I can renovate your historic house!). I do not have a Haynes manual. I do not have the vocabulary for a good search of the forum to piece together answers to my painfully basic question(s). I have attached photos, with letters referring to the bits in question.

This SEEMS relatively straightforward, but I know how deep forum rabbit holes can go.

(A) I have the plug off the main wiring harness with about 1/8" of wire left that I'd considered soldering back on to the main harness (see photo with my fat fingers oh my god how am I going to hold all those bits and pieces in place?!). It would be SO MUCH BETTER if I had more wire. So I'm hunting someone's discarded harness piece to purchase, or a part number/name/keyword/identifier to purchase new (can I even do so without purchasing the whole giant harness mess?). Or advice about how else I can salvage this minor disaster.

(B) As far as wiring on the new fender light, I believe I'm supposed to cut off the side marker end plug from the old piece and connect (solder/heatshrink) those newly exposed wire ends directly to the wire ends poking out of the new fender...?

Let me know if I can answer questions or post additional photos/info to clarify the situation.
Thanks much for any insight/support y'all can offer. :)
-Joz (like the shark)

IMG_3564.jpg
IMG_3565.jpg

Last edited:
Can you help me remodel my 1802 house? Kidding. Can you post a picture of the Jeep plug and show the connecting pins inside? I want to see if they're removable.

Reactions: BigAL07
Welcome! Being an architect is no reason not to be a mechanic :p when it comes to Jeeps, since I am one too! Flip side Iwouldn’t be a very good architect to renovate a historic house.

• Haha
Reactions: mrjp
Apologies for the poor lighting conditions. Jeep female side receives pins from fender/marker light side male plug. The pins do not appear to be removable. Jeep side receiver MAY be removable... those teenytiny red cones appear to be attachments, tho the white receiver feels more firmly attached than the flexible red bits would provide. Edit: After more noodling on this, I think the red is a gasket and the white receiver is firmly attached to the black plastic housing. Neither the pins nor the receiver seem to be removable from their housings.

IMG_3570.jpg
IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

Last edited:
The white cover inside the plug should have clips farther down inside. Get a flashlight and see. You'll need a small flat head screwdriver or something similar to unclip them. Be gentle, they will break. If you can unclip them, that white cover will come off. Once it's off, find a paperclip and you should be able to unclip the female connections and push them through. I'm not 100% sure if they come out the back or the front though.

Reactions: mrjp