Regrets on the wheels and tires I bought?

Ratbikerod

Supporting Member
So I am trying to decide if I have regrets regarding my relatively quick decision on wheels and tires. It came faster than I expected after getting my 2015 JKU Rubicon two weeks ago as I kinda fell into it bass-ackwards. I really liked the look of these wheels but did not account for their relative wide (9.5") width. As such the stock tires would not fit and again fell bass-ackwards into a purchase (albeit a good financial decision, as I got a great deal with trade in of my old tires) of a set of 285/70R17 BFG KO2's.

Now, I am kinda wishing I had held off, gotten spacers, stuck with the stock Rubicon wheels and maybe put pizza cutters on it. I actually prefer the look of a straighter sidewall and taller tire. You can see that the wheel is almost wider than the tread, even though the 285 should be 11.2 wide, it seems like the tire bows in to the tread.

I will say that this week having a -12 offset means that the 285's do not rub at all. I still want to do a 2" lift at some point. Just jury out on the week/tire combo.

Thoughts?

JKU Wheel.jpg

JKU Shortie.jpg

Reactions: nbouieJK
I don't think you can do better than KO2's on a mostly-street-driven Jeep.
That's what I'm running on both of ours.

I'm not a fan of the rim choice. No offense meant, they just do not inspire me.

I'm sure they will serve the purpose just fine, especially after you lift the JK.

Reactions: Ratbikerod

I'm sure they will serve the purpose just fine, especially after you lift the JK.
Yea, I knew that would not be everyone's cup of tea, and I wanted that. I like a more utilitarian almost military look.

Reactions: BigAL07

I also noticed that the new Rubicon’s are coming with the 285/70R17 on the 17x7.5 rims. I may decide to switch back to the stock rim and add spacers.

So I am trying to decide if I have regrets regarding my relatively quick decision on wheels and tires. It came faster than I expected after getting my 2015 JKU Rubicon two weeks ago as I kinda fell into it bass-ackwards. I really liked the look of these wheels but did not account for their relative wide (9.5") width. As such the stock tires would not fit and again fell bass-ackwards into a purchase (albeit a good financial decision, as I got a great deal with trade in of my old tires) of a set of 285/70R17 BFG KO2's.

Now, I am kinda wishing I had held off, gotten spacers, stuck with the stock Rubicon wheels and maybe put pizza cutters on it. I actually prefer the look of a straighter sidewall and taller tire. You can see that the wheel is almost wider than the tread, even though the 285 should be 11.2 wide, it seems like the tire bows in to the tread.

I will say that this week having a -12 offset means that the 285's do not rub at all. I still want to do a 2" lift at some point. Just jury out on the week/tire combo.

Thoughts?
Any decision that includes getting spacers is a bad decision.

Reactions: PennJeeper
I actually prefer the look of a straighter sidewall and taller tire
Same here. I like the style of the wheel but it needs a larger tire to complete the look, imo. I also don't care for tires poking out from the fenders. Many do, and that is perfectly fine. Just my preference.
That's what I'm running; take off's from a 2020.
I think this is the way. There are so many good looking choices out there and in many cases the OEM wheels are more robust than the aftermarket offerings.

Overall your Jeep looks good! Just offering my opinion since that is what you asked for...

Reactions: Ratbikerod
Same here. I like the style of the wheel but it needs a larger tire to complete the look, imo. I also don't care for tires poking out from the fenders. Many do, and that is perfectly fine. Just my preference.

I think this is the way. There are so many good looking choices out there and in many cases the OEM wheels are more robust than the aftermarket offerings.

Overall your Jeep looks good! Just offering my opinion since that is what you asked for...
Always happy to hear everyone's opinion, pro or con.

Reactions: tJKrider
I'd like to see a side shot of the whole Jeep with those wheels, but from what I see, I'm kinda diggin' that look. I works with the black trim and fenders you have and it is a utilitarian/military look. And I'm running 12.5" KO2s on mine (no spacers) and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: tJKrider
I like those wheels. Unique- that's not a common look- which is very cool.
On a side note, your JKU looks like the stance has a rake back to front. Should you decide to add aftermarket bumpers, you're going to add 80--100 lbs of steel to either or both ends and it may squat a little more. You were discussing a 2" lift, right? Might want to go with a 2.5" because I guarantee with a load in the back, a pair of steel bumpers, etc., you're going to lose 1/2" of your lift.

Would love to know your thinking behind this, being that spacers are used so frequently and have been used for so long?
Tobacco and heroin have been widely used for a long time. Doesn't make them good things.
Wheel spacers, at a minimum, lead to premature failure of suspension components to a degree directly proportional to the thickness of the spacers. At worst, they lead to wheels falling off while you're driving. Get wheels that fit properly.

I like those wheels. Unique- that's not a common look- which is very cool.
On a side note, your JKU looks like the stance has a rake back to front. Should you decide to add aftermarket bumpers, you're going to add 80--100 lbs of steel to either or both ends and it may squat a little more. You were discussing a 2" lift, right? Might want to go with a 2.5" because I guarantee with a load in the back, a pair of steel bumpers, etc., you're going to lose 1/2" of your lift.
On this point "your JKU looks like the stance has a rake back to front", I do feel like mine has more than I notice in others. Not sure if this is just a byproduct of spring sag at 75,000 miles or something that was initially inherent.

The shocks are really rusted and pitted and in bad need of replacement. If I do a 2.5 leveling lift, should I opt for one with new springs? I would assume yes, but I do not want to create a really harsh ride. It would be fine for me, but the wife will complain. I was thinking of a 1.5-2" with Fox Pro 2.0 shocks. But maybe something else is in order.

Over 75,000 miles on 1.5 Spider Trac wheel spacers. Zero issues. Never had a loose lug. Not one single front end component ever changed out. Are parts are still original 2007 factory parts that came on my Rubi when I bought it. Took them off at 90,000 when I purchased my 17x9 black wheels and 285 tires to change the look of the Jeep. All parts still in great shape and still running strong. Would not advise them on oversized tires and wheels that have over 4 backspacing. PROPERLY INSTALLED spacers on stock wheels and tires are no more dangerous than running a stop sign. My experience 🍺🍺

Old school spacers suck, the new stuff is much better and seem to work pretty dang well. With that said, IMO, they are a just a cheap alternative to buying the correct wheels.

Over 75,000 miles on 1.5 Spider Trac wheel spacers. Zero issues. Never had a loose lug. Not one single front end component ever changed out. Are parts are still original 2007 factory parts that came on my Rubi when I bought it. Took them off at 90,000 when I purchased my 17x9 black wheels and 285 tires to change the look of the Jeep. All parts still in great shape and still running strong. Would not advise them on oversized tires and wheels that have over 4 backspacing. PROPERLY INSTALLED spacers on stock wheels and tires are no more dangerous than running a stop sign. My experience 🍺🍺
I agree. I ran spacers on my WJ for 8 years. Had it on many beaches, at Rausch Creek, and Big Levels 4x4 trail in Virginia. Zero issues.

I treated a guy who was shot in the head point blank with a .45. Bullet never penetrated the skull. But I don't recommend getting shot, either.
Sometimes you just get lucky. Doesn't change the facts.