Rear sway bar versus no rear sway bar

TargetOz

Just recently I watched a YouTube video where they were comparing how far they can go up a degree ramp with and without a rear sway bar. Of course it was a rubicon so the front bar was disconnected in the comparison. With the rear bar connected it went 127” up the ramp, with the rear bar disconnected it went up only 110”. With the rear bar disconnected you could hear the rear tyre scraping up in the inner guard, could it be that his bump stop set up wasn’t properly set?? A guys comment was that without a rear sway bar bump stops are vital in achieving the best stretch, if this is true what length should my bump stops be for a 2” lifted rubicon??? Thoughts?

No one can tell you what your bump stop length should be, literally. You can ask up and down the internet and not one single person can give you the right answer.

Do you know why this is? It's because bump stop varies from vehicle-to-vehicle and the amount you'll need varies based on the mods you have done, how much interference they have with other parts, tires, etc. Almost no two Jeeps will ever be the same.

Disconnecting the rear sway bar is pointless and absolutely unnecessary. If you want to figure out bump stop, you need to cycle the suspension and set bump stop accordingly.

No one can tell you what your bump stop length should be, literally. You can ask up and down the internet and not one single person can give you the right answer.

Do you know why this is? It's because bump stop varies from vehicle-to-vehicle and the amount you'll need varies based on the mods you have done, how much interference they have with other parts, tires, etc. Almost no two Jeeps will ever be the same.

Disconnecting the rear sway bar is pointless and absolutely unnecessary. If you want to figure out bump stop, you need to cycle the suspension and set bump stop accordingly.
I’m watching this off road video with just wranglers extreme off roading and of course Rubicons, and all of them have rear sway bars, surely if you disconnected them the Jeep would articulate better as I recently owned a Patrol which I disconnected both front and rear bars and it articulated extremely well

I’m watching this off road video with just wranglers extreme off roading and of course Rubicons, and all of them have rear sway bars, surely if you disconnected them the Jeep would articulate better as I recently owned a Patrol which I disconnected both front and rear bars and it articulated extremely well

You don't know what you don't know. Those guys wheeling without rear sway bars are proof of that.

Reactions: TargetOz and mrjp