Rear end is very unstable going over bumps

Cactus52

Hi all,

Been a jeep owner now for 3 weeks and have discovered that it is real unstable in the back end going over normal bumps or a gravel road almost to the point of being unsafe. The jeep does have bigger tires 275 70 r18's and i believe original shocks with 90k miles. Is this the issue or do i need to dive a bit deeper..

Thanks

A few things:
  • Make sure your tire pressure is set between 26 to 28 psi. Anything higher than this is too much for a Jeep.
  • Inspect the rear control arm bushings.
  • Inspect the rear track bar bushings.
  • Consider replacing the shocks. With 90k, there's good chance they need to be replaced anyways.

Thanks for the info. Im going ro replace all 4 shocks. I checked the bushings and they look solid. The tires were all 37 psi, so I'll decrease that and change the shocks today and reevaluate. Thanks for the response!!

Reactions: Chris
But, what about this: "The proper stock tire pressure for the Jeep Wrangler JK is 37 PSI for all four tires.”

37 PSI is what’s stickered inside the drivers side door. This is with stock tires. So is it safe to run them between 26 and 30 PSI and will they wear evenly?

Last edited: