Rear auxiliary lighting

ColinD

Hello. I new to the forum, and want to say hi to everyone. I have recently purchased a 2018 JKU Recon and am looking into adding auxiliary lighting. I am not very mechanically inclined but I can follow instructions to get a job done. My question is regarding rear lighting. I would like some lights that I control with a switch in the cab, not wired directly to the backup lights. I was looking at the ZRoadz 6" light bars that mount to the hinges on the glass. Looking at the install video it looks like the cable is passed through the edge of the glass causing a gap. I'm worried that this gap would let water in; I do not have a garage. I'm also open to other ideas. I've looked at the tow hitch lights and like that idea but it won't fit my aftermarket hitch. I also like the pods that mount on top of the tail lights but, again, I do not see how the wiring gets into the vehicle. Here is a link to the ZRoadz light bars I'm referring to:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/zroa...8zroadz6inchledlightbars&T5_Var3=yellowBumper

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that are not too complicated I would appreciate it.

Reactions: theRealCrazy
Do not worry about water getting in, you will get use to that as your Jeep ages. My 2010 can be a bath tub. There are a lot of drain plugs under the carpets. I am going to put a large back up light on, which will be controlled by the window rear defogger. The connections to the glass separated just after my warranty (go figure). It is a 40 amp fuse so it has a lot of watts. One thing, there is a timer on the defrost button, but it can be pressed again. I am going to check that link out.

Reactions: Chris
I don't think those will let water in. You could alway shook them up to an sPOD setup and use that to switch them on whenever you'd like. That's the cleanest way to do it IMHO.

Reactions: ColinD and mrjp
I don't think those will let water in. You could alway shook them up to an sPOD setup and use that to switch them on whenever you'd like. Th
I don't think those will let water in. You could alway shook them up to an sPOD setup and use that to switch them on whenever you'd like. That's the cleanest way to do it IMHO.
at's the cleanest way to do it IMHO.
The sPOD interests me. I will do more research. Thanks for the tip!!

Reactions: Chris and mrjp
X2 on the spod, just be aware that the installation requires some wiring knowledge to install safely. I currently have a rigid fog pod hooked up to both my reverse lights as well as one of the spod switches if I want to override the reverse gear. The fog pod is crazy bright and great for what I wanted with regards to a reverse light/rear light, however still working out placement. I have it mounted to the tub but know that one good rock or departure angle onto a rock will take it out.

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_2001.jpeg
IMG_4006.jpeg

Reactions: ColinD and mrjp
X2 on the spod, just be aware that the installation requires some wiring knowledge to install safely. I currently have a rigid fog pod hooked up to both my reverse lights as well as one of the spod switches if I want to override the reverse gear. The fog pod is crazy bright and great for what I wanted with regards to a reverse light/rear light, however still working out placement. I have it mounted to the tub but know that one good rock or departure angle onto a rock will take it out.

View attachment 117135

View attachment 117136View attachment 117137
Thank you!