Radiator seam leak

Ghstrydr

JK Enthusiast
Well I have been chasing a coolant leak on my '08 Sahara for a couple of years. Yep, that's right years. It would come and go, very strange indeed. At first I thought is was just the overflow tank with to much coolant, then maybe a bad radiator cap. However, it turned out to be the left side seam where the plastic tank and aluminum radiator meet. It is very small and hard to spot, it would leak just enough so you could smell it and sometimes leave the suspension parts coated in coolant. I have a new radiator coming in Wednesday so out with the old and in with the new. I really can't complain, the Jeep has 138+K on it and still running strong.

oh the fun of the 3.8 coolant smell.

Took me about two years to find mine, turned out to be super easy fix. The housing for the thermostat doesn't come with a gasket as there is a rubber seal around the thermostat itself. I put a gasket in there anyway after noticing a super tiny bead of coolant poking out on the back side. It would then drip down and evaporate before the engine cooled down. Been fine since, and the coolant smell went away.
I'm at 202k btw. Not as powerful of an engine as the 3.6, but a better one I think. So much easier to work on.

oh the fun of the 3.8 coolant smell.

Took me about two years to find mine, turned out to be super easy fix. The housing for the thermostat doesn't come with a gasket as there is a rubber seal around the thermostat itself. I put a gasket in there anyway after noticing a super tiny bead of coolant poking out on the back side. It would then drip down and evaporate before the engine cooled down. Been fine since, and the coolant smell went away.
I'm at 202k btw. Not as powerful of an engine as the 3.6, but a better one I think. So much easier to work on.
Yes, it will be nice to be rid of the coolant smell. I agree, the 3.8 is not the most powerful engine but it holds up well and is a bit easier to work on then the 3.6.

Reactions: BigAL07
Done, done, and done. The new radiator is in and all looks good. Just finished topping off the coolant. Set the front of the jeep on ramps, waited for it to heat up after adding coolant, added a bit more as the air work out of the system.

I had one bolt on the bottom of the condenser that was tough to line up. Other then that all went as expected.

Done, done, and done. The new radiator is in and all looks good. Just finished topping off the coolant. Set the front of the jeep on ramps, waited for it to heat up after adding coolant, added a bit more as the air work out of the system.

I had one bolt on the bottom of the condenser that was tough to line up. Other then that all went as expected.

What brand was the radiator in case someone else needs to get one.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Dam you took the last one. :ROFLMAO: Well glad I don't need one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)
"Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

I find myself in need of a Radiator. This looks very enexpensive. Is it holding up? Thanks in advance.