Questions about replacing 3.6 engine in 2016 Wrangler

philautomatic

Hello, I'm new to the jeep world so if any of these questions are common sense sorry in advance. My gfs 2016 jeep wrangler has been having overheating issues and after compression tests, the rad was leaking, which I replaced. Then an engine coolant hosing on top of the motor was cracked, then replaced. After all this, the car still was overheating next, I removed the heads as I found out the heads seem to warp on these easily, well I found the heads to be warped and the deck was messed up. I'm planning on doing an engine swap with a used 3.6l with fewer miles as hers has 100k. So my questions are what should I look out for on the used engine, what dealers to buy one from, and how bad is the engine replacement? I have done engine swaps on other cars before, and have just done one in my wrx a few months back (insert joke about EJ engine reliability lol). Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Gibbster
Are you looking to get a used engine with low miles or a remanufactured engine with a warranty?

Reactions: mrjp
Hello, I'm new to the jeep world so if any of these questions are common sense sorry in advance. My gfs 2016 jeep wrangler has been having overheating issues and after compression tests, the rad was leaking, which I replaced. Then an engine coolant hosing on top of the motor was cracked, then replaced. After all this, the car still was overheating next, I removed the heads as I found out the heads seem to warp on these easily, well I found the heads to be warped and the deck was messed up. I'm planning on doing an engine swap with a used 3.6l with fewer miles as hers has 100k. So my questions are what should I look out for on the used engine, what dealers to buy one from, and how bad is the engine replacement? I have done engine swaps on other cars before, and have just done one in my wrx a few months back (insert joke about EJ engine reliability lol). Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you for your time.
On replacing it, a guy named Ben on youtube (JKGearandGadgets) is doing a hemi swap on his jk (its a 2007-2011, but should be about the same). Might give some help even if you don't go with a hemi.

On replacing it, a guy named Ben on youtube (JKGearandGadgets) is doing a hemi swap on his jk (its a 2007-2011, but should be about the same). Might give some help even if you don't go with a hemi.

The 2007 to 2011 would be the 3.8 engine, he needs the 3.6.

@IndominusHuman been watching that channel on and off this whole pandemic. Very insightful. Watched them remove the LJ’s (4.0) engine and it made me think, I hope I never need to do that lol. However, give me warm weather and the right tools, then maybe.......

Reactions: mrjp
@IndominusHuman been watching that channel on and off this whole pandemic. Very insightful. Watched them remove the LJ’s (4.0) engine and it made me think, I hope I never need to do that lol. However, give me warm weather and the right tools, then maybe.......
Yep. I will say, after working on the underside of my Jeep in 110 degree Arkansas heat/humidity, I would much rather have the cooler temps. You can always put more clothes on, but reach a limit when taking them off. :ROFLMAO: