Questions about potential Jeep purchase

vikingXterra

So currently I have a 2007 Xterra, that is just an awesome truck. Main reason I got it was I've always driven a clutch, and at the time the Jeep with a 3.8V6 compared to the xterra's 4.0V6 quite frankly was a bit pokey. The 3.6 pentastar is supposed to be a lot better is my understanding, I mean I can read the spec difference but curious on a few things.
The xterra's clutch is fun, but very under engineered. It's on the 3rd clutch (I replaced it right after i purchased used), and I'm getting symptoms that it's gonna go again! Super expensive repair and I've literally in my many decades of clutch driving have never had to replace a clutch in any of my vehicles. So I'm looking at getting an unlimited manual (need the 4 doors). I don't do any serious off roading, mainly trail traversal in pursuit of other activities like camping and fishing.

So first off, is the 3.6 a good bit better by the butt-meter then the 3.8? I will of course form my own opinion there but just curious on others opinion.

How long does the clutch last in jeeps?

I'd really be interested if anyone had an xterra and switched to a jeep and what their thoughts are?

I've read some here on different gear ratios that folks run, what's recommended on a manual? I would be looking at a 2012+ as I don't want a 3.8 V6 are there any years to avoid or gotchas I should be on the look out for?
thx!

I have the 3.8 engine and by no means does it compare to my 12v Cummins it's really not that bad. The worst thing with the engine is the drive by wire, put a throttle enhancer on it and it's fun to drive.

All the years have there issues and most should have them corrected by now.

If I was to buy another one I'd buy it looking at it as having a bad engine and how much it would cost for a new one. And it's just me but a new engine wouldn't mean the same as what was in it. Any engine could be put into one if a person was crafty enough.

Reactions: tJKrider
A little different requirements than you, but I just acquired a 2016 2dr. Agree with BLACKJKUs comments. I wouldn't be afraid of any years depending on mileage, price. I was neutral on auto/manual for the 2012+ model year. I wanted to stay away from the early years with potential cylinder head and rocker arm issues. Again, if the price is right you can mitigate this, however.

I have 3.21 gears with the auto and 255/75R17 tires (32"). I find the acceleration and steady state cruise rpms to be totally acceptable. I'm not a rock crawler... Manual would be fine with these as well if you are not looking to put huge tires on or frequent Moab:

Auto:
1st 3.59
2nd 2.19
3rd 1.41
4th 1
5th 0.83
Reverse 3.16

Manual:
1st 4.46
2nd 2.61
3rd 1.72
4th 1.25