Questions about new to me 2012 JK Sport

macleanflood

JK Enthusiast
Howdy folks... bought my wife a red 2012 JK Sport...2 door...6 speed with a 30/44 setup...3.21 gears and 18" rims and bald 35s. She's pretty rough around the edges so we won't mind wheeling it with my 97 TJ.

Questions...been researching...bought JScan for $23 and tried reprogramming the ECU for 34" tires...no errors but no joy on the speedo either... guessing my ODB adapter is not a sanctioned model and will purchase a recommend one...is there no vehicle speed sensor? I saw stuff about tires and the ABS module. I also saw a test procedure for the instrument cluster...holding down the odometer reset when keying on.

Second...I'd like to replace the 18s. Desert Rat has 16s but they only have 3.62 inches of backspacing...not the recommend 3.75...but that was for 15s which I would prefer. Is that enough to clear the brake calipers? Any thoughts on these rims? https://www.desertrat.com/i-23318142-16x8-5-desert-rattler-bully-pro-lock-5x5-5.html#!year=2022 Any recommendations for black 15s? I read the 15s thread but most seem out of stock or production. Also entertaining keeping the 18s and going for 37s. =)

Third...it's missing the back seat. In checking out why the radio is completely dead I noticed the fuse box has fuses and relays for heated and power seat options... anyone have any experience with swapping in Rubicon seats...is the wiring all there and all I need is dash buttons? Thinking instead of just finding a back seat that matches...and the front seat is stiched... just replace all three.

Planning on 4.88s or 5.13s and e-lockers. Maybe a Super 30 kit in the front 30 or I win the lottery and swap in a prebuilt G2 44.

Need to research out the lift...looks like taller springs. No idea what it is.

More to follow...

-Mac

IMG_20220702_193736850.jpg

1st. I use Jscan with the iCarPro dongle.

2nd. The link you Sent for Desert Rat is the wrong bolt pattern. You need 5x5/5on5. My opinion, 17"s have more options for tires and wheels than 18's or 16's. There are 15's out there most rims will be D windows or Soft 8's in steel. 35x12.50R15 are easy to find too.

3rd. No experience with the seats but if you find a wrecked Rubi for the seats, take the front axle while you're at it too! It will be a Dana 44. Build that.

1st. I use Jscan with the iCarPro dongle.

2nd. The link you Sent for Desert Rat is the wrong bolt pattern. You need 5x5/5on5. My opinion, 17"s have more options for tires and wheels than 18's or 16's. There are 15's out there most rims will be D windows or Soft 8's in steel. 35x12.50R15 are easy to find too.

3rd. No experience with the seats but if you find a wrecked Rubi for the seats, take the front axle while you're at it too! It will be a Dana 44. Build that.
Is 3.62 inches of backspacing not enough for 15s? I would assume not since most Forum posts mentioned 3.75 as the minimum.

-Mac

15's will work but I forget how much backspace you need to clear the caliper