Questions about lift and tire upgrade on 2017 JK

Gec5741

I had my 2017 JK now for about 4 years. I have always wanted to do a lift and larger tire upgrade and thinking maybe this summer is the time. It's a confusing proposition though. I do not want to do the work myself and wondering where I would go to look at getting g the work done? I may ask my dealer when I go in for my next oil change for a quote. But will I pay out my nose at a dealer? Do I order a lift myself then take it someplace to have it installed? And where is the best place to look at the tires/rim upgrade? I'd like to have it all done at once if I could.

And that brings me to the next issue. What size lift and tires? Originally I'd like to do the 2.5" inch lift with 35's as it looks great imo. But this is my daily drive and used only on the streets of northern Illinois so no real hills or anything. I would also look to get a chip to correct the speedometer if I did any tire size upgrade. Looking for advice as to where I would go to get started with something like this. Thanks in advance.

Yep I had looked into that back when I was researching all this back when I bought my jeep. So i will get a reader that will allow me to adjust for tire size and timings etc. I'm about due for an oil change so I may ask for an estimate at my dealer on the lift and tires. Figure that would be the most costly but maybe best rout with warranty and mopar parts quality? I don't know of any jeep shops around me really. I'll ask around though.

Reactions: mrjp
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a shop in the Chicago area that did this kinda work, possible I guess.

To me, the only reason to go to a dealer for work is if you have a warranty or no other option. Aftermarket stuff 100% avoid. The mechs there are normally not well versed in the subtle things involved in a lift, if they would even do the work. They are too broadly focused all makes that they sell.

Look on facebook or ask the dealer for any jeep groups in the area. They are going to be your best source of information on where to have things done. You may even have the lucky jeep group where one of the members runs the shop you are looking for.

a 2.5 and 35s for just street driving would be fine. You would probably have to get aftermarket wheels if you haven't already. Stock wheels don't have the backspacing for larger wheels to fit.

Thanks I'll keep looking around for advice. I'm not in a rush but something I've been wanting to do and it would be nice for this summer. I'd like to start tricking out the thing. I lasted 4 years driving it stock and now I feel is the time to do some fun stuff to it. I'll definitely be getting new aftermarket wheels and tires. Just need to figure out what I like the best between looks and something good for street still.

I'm with MacGuyver on this, 100%.
Find a reputable off-road shop to do the work. They know the nuances and idiosyncrasies of lift and tire combinations and will be able to align and balance everything correctly.

A common refrain in this forum are those who spend some money on new tires and wheels (going bigger), getting a lift installed and the Jeep suddenly drives like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The tire shop did this, the owner installed that and my friend says this. Three idiots changing a tire will take longer than one guy who knows how to do it, and the three guys will likely screw something up as well.

Get the factory 2ish" lift kit. Fox shocks, driveshaft, springs, etc. Labor isn't bad and retains factory warranty. Great quality and ride is excellent.

You’re in the right place / forum to research your inquiries. Take your time, do some searching on lift brands, (Mopar isn’t a bad choice) tires you’d like to install, etc. Keep in mind that cheaping out often results in spending more in the long run and you possibly not being happy with the outcome from the get-go.

I agree with your choice of 2.5” lift with 35’s. It shouldn’t be bad for a daily. Get your JK calibrated (Jscan, or other) and I forget what the standard gearing is on most stock JK’s but Im on 3.73 gears with an auto trans from the factory w the tow package, and it’s not bad on highways and around town. Im sure it would be much better if geared proper, but I’ve yet to drive someone else’s lifted JK to compare.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
When you upgrade your tires you will need to download the Jscan App and get OBD2 reader so you can correct your tire size for the speedo and trans shifting program
Does the app need to have the Blue Tooth Scanner or can the app scan and make the changes without the obd scanner? I have a regular obd reader that you plug in and get codes. 1st time hearing about app and blue tooth scanner. Thanks yes I to am thinking of a 2.5 inch lift and see all kinds of options..

I'm fairly certain, almost positive, that you need one of the cheap BT scanners. There is a particular one that is suggested by JScan and I would get that one if you don't have one.

That being said, a jscan download is free. You just have to pay for the license so it will allow you to use it to the full potential. You can still download and connect / read codes / clear codes without the license. So perhaps it will work with yours, just give it a try.

the jeep community is always helpful, with the exception of some JL snobs. next time you see a lifted jeep you like ask the owner who did the work. if you have some poplar jeep trials or local off road parks, those guys are the best! can't tell how many people we've meet off roading. guys looooove to talk about jeep upgrades! you never feel stranded in the jeep community... just good people!
jeep wave