Question about AEV Dual Sport 3.5" lift

motogod77

So after reading great reviews I picked up an AEV Dual Sport 3.5” lift and plan on MCE fender flares and 37’s.

My concern Is the non adjustable arms with the AEV lift, nor does it come with control arm brackets - its basically just coils, steering, track bar/sway bar brackets and shocks????

Any help / suggestions here???

I am also doing Dutchman axles, and 5.13’s at the same time.

I have it. It doesn't have adjustable control arm brackets. It's coils and control arm relocation brackets. There's no need for adjustable control arms, as it sets the control arms exactly where the need to be via the relocation brackets.

After a quick call to AEV the kit does come with geometry brackets, however they are not mentioned in the instructions lol.

There are separate instructions for those on a different part of the website.

Yes, the do indeed come with the geometry brackets. They look like this:

132273-add5.jpg

I have it. It doesn't have adjustable control arm brackets. It's coils and control arm relocation brackets. There's no need for adjustable control arms, as it sets the control arms exactly where the need to be via the relocation brackets.
Hey Chris, I have seen you say that these are designed for on-road first, occasional off-road next....is there a particular reason why that is the case? Are they lighter in weight, less durable? Or just softer springs/shocks?

Hey Chris, I have seen you say that these are designed for on-road first, occasional off-road next....is there a particular reason why that is the case? Are they lighter in weight, less durable? Or just softer springs/shocks?

AEV has stated that they built their 3.5" DualSport lift to accommodate drivers who want more than just an off-road suspension. The Bilstein 5100 shock absorbers are specially tuned to AEV's specs by Bilstein, so they provide a much better ride than your traditional, off-the-shelf Bilstein 5100.

In addition, the springs have different rates, and the utilize many of the stock components such as the factory control arms, etc.

Basically it's a lift that isn't overdone. When you start getting into triangulated rear setups, 3-link fronts, etc., you can gain some incredible off-road performance, but often times you're sacrificing a lot of the on-road driving capability.

AEV has stated that they built their 3.5" DualSport lift to accommodate drivers who want more than just an off-road suspension. The Bilstein 5100 shock absorbers are specially tuned to AEV's specs by Bilstein, so they provide a much better ride than your traditional, off-the-shelf Bilstein 5100.

In addition, the springs have different rates, and the utilize many of the stock components such as the factory control arms, etc.

Basically it's a lift that isn't overdone. When you start getting into triangulated rear setups, 3-link fronts, etc., you can gain some incredible off-road performance, but often times you're sacrificing a lot of the on-road driving capability.
Thanks Chris....It seems like a well thought out system, as long as it does not sacrifice too much off road capability. They advertise a 3.5" & 4.5" DualSport lift, but it appears as though the 4.5" is only for the 4 door JK. I always seem to kick myself for not getting the slightly higher lift, so was curious if the 3.5" allows plenty of room for 35" tires? It also does not mention a need for replacement driveshafts, is it recommended on JK's to get aftermarket DC DS's? I was thinking about a TJ, but now am researching JK's, so the learning process continues.....Thanks for the help.

Thanks Chris....It seems like a well thought out system, as long as it does not sacrifice too much off road capability. They advertise a 3.5" & 4.5" DualSport lift, but it appears as though the 4.5" is only for the 4 door JK. I always seem to kick myself for not getting the slightly higher lift, so was curious if the 3.5" allows plenty of room for 35" tires? It also does not mention a need for replacement driveshafts, is it recommended on JK's to get aftermarket DC DS's? I was thinking about a TJ, but now am researching JK's, so the learning process continues.....Thanks for the help.

Oh no, it doesn't sacrifice any off-road capability whatsoever. It simply improves on the stock setup.

Yes, the 3.5" lift is IMHO the ideal lift size for 35s. The 4.5" is pretty damn big, and IMHO seems better suited to 37s. I run my AEV 3.5" lift with 315s and it looks and functions great with more than enough room.

You don't need a new driveshaft with this setup. All you need is the exhaust spacers and that's it, which is one more nice thing about it.

Literally all you need is the lift, exhaust spacers, and nothing more (other than bigger tires ;) ).

Oh no, it doesn't sacrifice any off-road capability whatsoever. It simply improves on the stock setup.

Yes, the 3.5" lift is IMHO the ideal lift size for 35s. The 4.5" is pretty damn big, and IMHO seems better suited to 37s. I run my AEV 3.5" lift with 315s and it looks and functions great with more than enough room.

You don't need a new driveshaft with this setup. All you need is the exhaust spacers and that's it, which is one more nice thing about it.

Literally all you need is the lift, exhaust spacers, and nothing more (other than bigger tires ;) ).
315s look pretty small with the 3.5” lift come on haha 😉

Cool, sounds like a great choice then.....I've read in some places that the exhaust spacers don't work really well, not sure if that is old news or if there is potentially a need for something else (Y replacement piece?)

Cool, sounds like a great choice then.....I've read in some places that the exhaust spacers don't work really well, not sure if that is old news or if there is potentially a need for something else (Y replacement piece?)

Yep, it's a great lift, you won't regret it, I promise. I never had an issue with the exhaust spacers personally.

I know, that bugs the crap out of me, almost need to buy a 37" to get a true 35" tire.

Yep, that's what @Starrs and I have come to realize. If you want a "true" 35", you need a 37". Those 315 BFH KO2s were measured at 33.3" exactly (we both got the same measurements on two different sets) mounted on the spare tire with 35 psi. BFG lists the actual size at 34.4", which is total horse shit.

So this makes me think a 37" would probably be closer to 35".

Yep, it's a great lift, you won't regret it, I promise. I never had an issue with the exhaust spacers personally.

Yep, that's what @Starrs and I have come to realize. If you want a "true" 35", you need a 37". Those 315 BFH KO2s were measured at 33.3" exactly (we both got the same measurements on two different sets) mounted on the spare tire with 35 psi. BFG lists the actual size at 34.4", which is total horse shit.

So this makes me think a 37" would probably be closer to 35".
Yep a BFG in a 37” will come in at 35”.

Reactions: Chris