Problem going up hill

ralexander

I have a 2017 Wrangler and ever since I bought the Jeep there has been an issue trying to go uphill. As I begin to go up a hill, you will notice a significant decrease in mph while I am giving it more gas. What happens is the engine is working hard and the temp gauge starts to creep up, and of course as soon as I crest the hill, temp goes down and all seems fine. There are no codes showing, and the dealer mechanics and a private mechanic can not find anything wrong. They did a driving diagnostic and all was normal. On my Jeep I have 35s and 4.56 gears. I am hoping someone can throw some ideas at me before I take it back to the dealership next week. Where I live is flat so no problems, but I go to the mountains to visit family a lot and it is a pain in the *** going up and down the hills.

I take it you probably have a automatic? If so can you hold it in a gear so it doesn't shift to a higher one when going up a hill?

When you did the gear and tire change did you reprogram your speedometer?

It is an automatic, but I am not sure about holding it in a gear. Yes, after I had the gears changed it was reprogrammed.

I think you need to calibrate much more than the speedo. I'm not sure, but if the shift points are not tied to the speedo re-calibration, that needs to be done as well. So, re-cal tire size, speedo and shift points.

I think you need to calibrate much more than the speedo. I'm not sure, but if the shift points are not tied to the speedo re-calibration, that needs to be done as well. So, re-cal tire size, speedo and shift points.

HI, thank you for responding. I did have it reprogrammed for the gears and tire size, and all that fun stuff :) That is why I am not sure what is going on, because all of the recalibrations were rechecked, there are no codes or lights. Thank you again, Rachel

Question, what would I use to re-cal shift points?

Can we safely assume there are no warning lights or check engine lights?

I took it into the dealership, no lights, no codes and they can not find what would be causing it. They suggested that I regear it, which I have done. So I am kinda at a loss on what else to check. It is an automatic, and I just used the Hypertech cal to set it again for the tires 35s and the gears 4.56. If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate it!

I have learned that speedo calibration also covers the shift points.

Thanks! I was wondering about that because I just used my Hypertech cal to ensure that the tire size and ration were correct, which they are, but I am still having the issue. I am just going to keep looking for answers.

If your pushing on the pedal and it's slow to move and then you put the Pedal Commander on and you push the pedal and it makes it more responsive it should help. If your not getting any Codes what else could it be.

If your pushing on the pedal and it's slow to move and then you put the Pedal Commander on and you push the pedal and it makes it more responsive it should help. If your not getting any Codes what else could it be.

I will have to try it, because I love travelling to the mountains, but not so much lately. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it :)

Reactions: BLACKJKU