Preparing to re-gear. Anyone with this set up?

Jockey 19

Looking for some info to make sure I choose the right gear ratio. Getting ready to re-gear.
Currently: 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 66k miles , 3.8 Automatic , 2 in puck lift, with 33's / 373 gears
Trying to decide between 456 and 488 gears. Use: General all around use - Sunday drives, back and forth to the lake, gravel roads, maybe some mild trails. I do have some hills here in the Branson area, pulling small trailer with riding mower on occasion. I don't want to wind it to tight but would like to get my OD back. Thanks for replies in advance.

Last edited:
Are you staying with the 33's?

Did you recalibrate the speedometer when putting the 33's on?

What gears do you have now?

Are you staying with the 33's?

Did you recalibrate the speedometer when putting the 33's on?

What gears do you have now?
I did recalibrate and it did help, but still hunting for OD. I currently have 373 gears. I will be pulling small trailer w/riding mower, but very occasionally

Thank you for reply. I will probably lean toward the 4.56 since I may pull my riding more from time to time. THX again.
Take a look at this chart. Go out and drive your Jeep at each of the projected RPM levels. Decide what's ok, and use that gear ratio. You may well find that even a 4.56 gear doesn't make you happy.

6902176722_7033166199016972165_n__04668.1511295172.jpg

Looking for some info to make sure I choose the right gear ratio. Getting ready to re-gear.
Currently: 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 66k miles , 3.8 Automatic , 2 in puck lift, with 33's / 373 gears
Trying to decide between 456 and 488 gears. Use: General all around use - Sunday drives, back and forth to the lake, gravel roads, maybe some mild trails. I do have some hills here in the Branson area, pulling small trailer with riding mower on occasion. I don't want to wind it to tight but would like to get my OD back. Thanks for replies in advance.
I've been to Branson! With some of those hills and a trailer now and again, I think you'd be happy and better off with 4.88's.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I've been to Branson! With some of those hills and a trailer now and again, I think you'd be happy and better off with 4.88's.
What do you have in yours? Do you happen to have the 3.8? According to the chart, I would be running about 2400 RPM at 70mph. I don't think that would be widing it out all that much, do you?

Reactions: JeepJeezy
What do you have in yours? Do you happen to have the 3.8? According to the chart, I would be running about 2400 RPM at 70mph. I don't think that would be widing it out all that much, do you?
I have 4.56's with the 3.6. I'm running 37's and that's my sweet spot.

It'll be winding it out because if you're climbing hills, it's going to spend a lot of time in 3rd gear.
Both of ours are on 35's with 4.10's. The 3.8 with the auto is going to eventually get 5.13 or 5.38 gears. The 3.6 with the M6 is ok, but a little sluggish and will likely eventually get 4.56 or 5.13 gears.

I have 4.56's with the 3.6. I'm running 37's and that's my sweet spot.
Thanks for reply. I know that there is 40-50 HP less w/the 3.8, but I am also only running 33 vs 37. I bet the 4.56 would work fine. Thanks for the reply. However, there is not much difference in the 4.88 if I were to go that direction, I just don't want the engine to be wound that tight going down the highway either.
I’m in a 3.6l auto and leaning strongly to 4.88 with 35s sometime this summer. ReGear kitty is nearly funded.
What is making you lean toward 4.88 vs 4.56? That is what I am struggling with. I don't want the engine to we to wound up, but I also sometimes pull a small trailer and I also want it to be able to pull hills.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
What is making you lean toward 4.88 vs 4.56? That is what I am struggling with. I don't want the engine to we to wound up, but I also sometimes pull a small trailer and I also want it to be able to pull hills.
Looking at the rpm charts for my setup, I’ll take a slightly higher cruising rate for the torque offroad. I tend to avoid freeways because I’m retired and the slight time difference is more than made up for by seeing our country.

ETA: a couple hundred rpm is negligible in the grand scheme also.

Thanks for reply. I know that there is 40-50 HP less w/the 3.8, but I am also only running 33 vs 37.
The 3.8L is rated at 200HP, minus however many have escaped since the engine was assembled. The 3.6L is rated at 280HP.
I bet the 4.56 would work fine. Thanks for the reply. However, there is not much difference in the 4.88 if I were to go that direction, I just don't want the engine to be wound that tight going down the highway either.
You need it to be. If your engine is lugging because the RPM is too low, it'll just downshift. You need it wound up high enough to keep it in OD. Which, for the 3.8L, auto and 33's, means 4.88-5.13 gears.
Which is why people keep suggesting more gear.