Powered sub install

JKFreedom

I have an aftermarket Kenwood head unit installed and have replaced all of the factory located speakers with Kicker replacements. Huge difference over what it sounded like when I got it. Just lacking bass. I have a small powered 8" Kicker sub on order and I'm hoping it will fit under the passenger seat. My question is - where is a good location to hook up ground? Do I need to find something near the sub to run ground to or can I run ground and power back to the wiring harness hooked into the head unit? Hoping someone else has done a similar install and/or is knowledgeable in this area that can advise.

Thanks

If it were me, (Based upon recent experience w/ the system installed in my TJ), I would ground the sub to the same point as the amp or radio to avoid creating a ground loop that will induce noise into the system.

Reactions: mrjp
I just got done installing the powered sub today. I ended up putting it behind the rear seat as I rarely store more back there than the side windows when the top is down and a backpack I keep all my gear in. I ran everything behind the head unit except for the ground. For that, I used the passenger side shoulder belt anchor point and made sure there was bare metal there. Seems to work great. The sub is a Kicker HS8 hideaway powered sub. Compliments all the other speakers in the factory locations which are all Kickers as well. Not going to rattle any mirrors but that was not my objective. The Kicker factory replacements were a nice audio upgrade for the money and the sub just adds that little bit of missing thump and lows. Head unit is a Kenwood DDX touch screen unit and my JK is the third vehicle I have installed it in.

Congrats on the install! I’m actually happy with sound of the stock system in my Sahara, but I want a new head unit. I might pick up the same Kenwood unit that you have.