Power steering mystery

No Name

Got a mystery. Did the Rubicon trail in our JK a few months ago and killed a power steering pump. I mention that because there has been work done in it. Got it replaced for 3 months and all was well until yesterday.

Wife got in it, and noticed a small puddle under it, but was in a hurry and drove off. She got about 300 yards before the power steering fluid was completely empty. (Then called me for the other jeep JT.) There was no leak prior to this. So went from no leak - to the hose nearly disconnected - while it was sitting still in the driveway.

When I got to it, found the leak and the whole system emptied along the path to it from my driveway. The lower hose connection was two whole turns loose - enough that the whole hose could move.

She also used to work at a place where that jeep got regularly sabotaged with screws, nails and razors stood up under the tires. And purposely slashing. Some personal vendetta of unknown reason. Which is why I bring this up…

Because here is what I can’t figure out. I put the hose back, snugged it up - put fluid in it and test drove the hell out of it. If it stripped and jumped a thread or two, it would have blown back out right?

It blew open while it was sitting in the driveway - two whole turns loose. It either backed out these turns while sitting there. Or jumped the threads while it was sitting there. And if it were the latter, how could I torque it back closed without it popping off again?

I took it all the way off to look for any thread rings or other evidence of stripping. Nothing.

So has anyone else ever had a hose ever just back out on its own - while sitting in your driveway?

Sounds like you need to put up some security cameras around your wifes work. Maybe hide out and watch for who is sabotaging and take pics of them then --- let your imagination run !!!

At one time I worked for an engineering company that contracted to Saginaw Steering Gear (now Delphi) for NVH testing. Pumps can develop an incredible amount of pressure. I never had one back off of a test fixture or vehicle once it was tightened properly - certainly not 3 months later.

Cross-threading a fitting would essentially jam the hose on the fitting, not keep it loose, likely causing fluid to spray.

A loose hose fitting should be apparent within a relatively short time after the pump develops pressure.

Reactions: mrjp
I talk to a mechanic, he said this. It may have just barely started to leak, and then the pressure of the fluid spun the fitting out. He also said he’s never seen this happen. But it is feasible. But I would’ve expected at least some weekend prior to this, where there was none. This happened all at once, with the engine off…

I’m still a little mystified by it. And it’s been a solid week or more with no issues sInce.

You or your wife has somebody that doesn't like one of you. Messing with somebody's steering could be considered attempted manslaughter. Security cams are a great idea. If you can identify the culprit then you can get word to him/her that crossbow shafts will indeed go right through a window from straight on.