Post-inspection: Should I buy this second-hand Wrangler?

answerway

Hi all, I m new to this forum. Thanks for letting me to post here.

I am recently looking to buy a Wrangler, and I came across on JK 2014 Sahara 2-door version. I brought the car to the mechanic for a pre-sale check up. Here are the red flags that we found:

1. Signs of steaming of coolant, we noticed white-powder-like substance inside the coolant tank, as well as outside the tank. It appears the coolant might have been steamed and exhausted out of the cap.
2. Smell of coolant when the hood is opened.
3. Running on idle, the temperature gauge is showing 105 degree celsius (or 220 degree fahrenheit). While driving above 30mph, it comes down to around 95 degree celsius (or 203 degree fahrenheit). Its a 73 degree fahrenheit day out there, and we are driving on bitumen/tarmac road.

There isn't many choices of JK or JL in where I live, and we have no dealer selling Jeep here.

Are these red flags pointing to a fatal problem with the car? Or are these known issues to the JK 2014.

Really appreciate your time reading my thread. Thank you.
Answerway

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
It always surprises me when I hear Jeep owners use the wrong terms when describing problems. Seems many Jeep owns don't know the difference between the Radiator and the Coolant Reservoir or the function of each. In reading post after post, I see erroneous information posted as though it is fact, that is dangerous. Why would anyone put faith in the words of an individual who clearly doesn't know 100% and is merely stating opinion rather than fact. If you don't know, for certain, what the level of the coolant reservoir tank is supposed to be at when both cold and hot, then don't post incorrect opinions, because you are steering somebody wrong. I have seen outlandish recommendations that are not only wrong, but can do irreversible damage to your engine.
Do not put faith in the words of fools. Just because someone bought a Jeep, that doesn't make them an expert.
Ask yourself this simple question, do you know what the correct cold level of the Coolant Reservoir should be? It's a simple answer, yet I witness people putting forth 'their opinion', which is incorrect.
If you don't know with 100% certainty, then don't post!

Last edited:
It always surprises me when I hear Jeep owners use the wrong terms when describing problems. Seems many Jeep owns don't know the difference between the Radiator and the Coolant Reservoir or the function of each. In reading post after post, I see erroneous information posted as though it is fact, that is dangerous. Why would anyone put faith in the words of an individual who clearly doesn't know 100% and is merely stating opinion rather than fact. If you don't know, for certain, what the level of the coolant reservoir tank is supposed to be at when both cold and hot, then don't post incorrect opinions, because you are steering somebody wrong. I have seen outlandish recommendations that are not only wrong, but can do irreversible damage to your engine.
Do not put faith in the words of fools. Just because someone bought a Jeep, that doesn't make them an expert.
Ask yourself this simple question, do you know what the correct cold level of the Coolant Reservoir should be? It's a simple answer, yet I witness people putting forth 'their opinion', which is incorrect.
If you don't know with 100% certainty, then don't post!

Is there a specific post your referring to? Yes not all people are born with a wrench in the hand.

If you know a correct answer to someones questions feel free to reply. We are all here to help.

Is there a specific post your referring to? Yes not all people are born with a wrench in the hand.

If you know a correct answer to someones questions feel free to reply. We are all here to help.
I am all for helping others with simple things like adding coolant, but it must be done properly of damage can occur. I don't want to single out one post as there's many with bad intel. No, not everyone was born with a wrench in hand and that's OK, but that person shouldn't be dishing out advice, the unsuspecting reader doesn't know the posters background or mechanical ability.
I'm just trying to let the reader beware, don't trust the word of someone online.

Did someone order a pedantic, self-righteous git? Because they've been delivered.
Indeed the truth always hurts those at fault. It might not sit well with you, but I have a valid point. When someone asks a question on a sight like this, they should get one decisive and factual answer, not a mishmash of opinions. The Coolant Level in the reservoir question has one answer and one answer only... the Manual is precise telling the Jeep owner to fil to the specific level and to use only the MOPAR premix with the actual number printed clearly on the front of the jug which corresponds to specific Jeep models and engines. (you can't deviate from that info. If you were asked "what is 2+2, and someone's answer was... 5? wouldn't it make you wonder about that persons level of competence.
I will restate my assertion... if you don't know the answer to a question... with 100% certainty, then don't answer the question.

• Face Palm
  • Haha
Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Indeed the truth always hurts those at fault. It might not sit well with you, but I have a valid point. When someone asks a question on a sight like this, they should get one decisive and factual answer, not a mishmash of opinions. The Coolant Level in the reservoir question has one answer and one answer only... the Manual is precise telling the Jeep owner to fil to the specific level and to use only the MOPAR premix with the actual number printed clearly on the front of the jug which corresponds to specific Jeep models and engines. (you can't deviate from that info. If you were asked "what is 2+2, and someone's answer was... 5? wouldn't it make you wonder about that persons level of competence.
I will restate my assertion... if you don't know the answer to a question... with 100% certainty, then don't answer the question.

So since alot of the electrical issues vehicles are from bad grounds it's not ok to suggest to check them first without knowing that is the problem?

So since alot of the electrical issues vehicles are from bad grounds it's not ok to suggest to check them first without knowing that is the problem?
As my post clearly stated, I was talking specifically about The Coolant Level in the reservoir, not following the manual can and will cause irreparable damage. Adding too much, not enough, wrong mix and wrong parts number is not helping a fellow Jeep driver, in fact it will to harm to the cooling system and engine.
In regards to checking electrical issues? by all means, but my point in regards to Coolant Levels, check before taking someone's word and adding too much coolant. Would you follow someone's advice who says to add Diesel to a Gas engine? I see so many coolant problems because "someone told me to add that much". listening to the wrong person can cost another thousands of dollars in repairs.
I will say it again, ''if you don't know the answer to a question... with 100% certainty, then don't answer the question'' cause you are only hurting not helping that person.

As my post clearly stated, I was talking specifically about The Coolant Level in the reservoir, not following the manual can and will cause irreparable damage. Adding too much, not enough, wrong mix and wrong parts number is not helping a fellow Jeep driver, in fact it will to harm to the cooling system and engine.
In regards to checking electrical issues? by all means, but my point in regards to Coolant Levels, check before taking someone's word and adding too much coolant. Would you follow someone's advice who says to add Diesel to a Gas engine? I see so many coolant problems because "someone told me to add that much". listening to the wrong person can cost another thousands of dollars in repairs.
I will say it again, ''if you don't know the answer to a question... with 100% certainty, then don't answer the question'' cause you are only hurting not helping that person.

Ok I wasn't aware you was just talking about this certain Thread, sounded more like all Mechanical problems.

Reactions: Speartip
Ok I wasn't aware you was just talking about this certain Thread, sounded more like all Mechanical problems.
No worries. I'm not a trouble maker, but there is a Jeep brotherhood, I just want owners to not steer another owner in the wrong direction or suggest incorrect info, info that ends up costing someone big $, when in fact there is a simple, factual, cut & dry answer.

I somewhat agree with jeepmastermechanic. Ive seen post asking about low tires and someone says check your alternator ?? Not quite that bad but close. You get my point. That being said, after being on this forum long enough one will get a feeling for who they can trust the advise from !

Definitely not a ‘“master mechanic “ lol. Definitely not a veterinarian either but I do know what a horses ass is when I see one!
Well, name calling aside, my posts were accurate and justified. It's entirely up to each individual to accept them they way they want and they certainly weren't intended to offend. At the end of the day, if you have ever steered someone wrong with questionable intel, intel that was nothing but an opinion or a hunch, then you are not fit to belong to the Jeep Brotherhood.
For the record, I have won the Mopar/Jeep “Top Tech” award 7 times and more recently the Mopar/Jeep “Top Advisor” award twice.

I'm just trying to let the reader beware, don't trust the word of someone online.
So they shouldn't trust what you're saying here, either.
Indeed the truth always hurts those at fault. It might not sit well with you, but I have a valid point.
On top of your head?
When someone asks a question on a sight
Since you're being pedantic and big headed, and trying to show how knowledgeable you are, it's site.
grammarpolice.jpg
like this, they should get one decisive and factual answer, not a mishmash of opinions. The Coolant Level in the reservoir question has one answer and one answer only... the Manual is precise telling the Jeep owner to fil to the specific level and to use only the MOPAR premix with the actual number printed clearly on the front of the jug which corresponds to specific Jeep models and engines. (you can't deviate from that info. If you were asked "what is 2+2, and someone's answer was... 5? wouldn't it make you wonder about that persons level of competence.
No, it wouldn't. Because someone as well versed on the subject as you want us to believe you are would know that your engine is not going to explode if the coolant reservoir isn't exactly on the line. And that there are any number of non-OEM coolants that are exactly the same, chemically, as the OEM product, and that it's totally fine to use universal coolant, if the change over is done properly.
Most of the questions asked here CANNOT be answered with 100% certainty. It is not possible to tell someone exactly what is causing their death wobble without seeing the vehicle. Because there is not one cause.
Now, if you will excuse me, I need to order something off Amazon.
troll14.jpg

Last edited: