PlastiDip anybody ever use it?

Maximus

JK Enthusiast
If so, how long did it last, how hard was the process, did you like it...etc. thinking about doing a set of wheels with it. Could I do it with the wheels mounted already? Thanks for any input 👍🏼
-Chris

i did it to wheel on my old tj and it lasted a few years of daily driving and minor trail rides. i did it to see what it would look like with black wheels. i used the stuff from that you can get from home depot

i did it to wheel on my old tj and it lasted a few years of daily driving and minor trail rides. i did it to see what it would look like with black wheels. i used the stuff from that you can get from home depot
So generally pretty happy with it? I like the fact you’re not 110% committed to the color (like powder coating) if you’re not happy with it and can change it if you want

I did it on the wheels of my Corvette. It worked very nice and seemed very durable. Never had any issues with it coming off, but I always wasn't off-roading my Corvette ;)

I did it on the wheels of my Corvette. It worked very nice and seemed very durable. Never had any issues with it coming off, but I always wasn't off-roading my Corvette ;)
Lol....good point. Lucky for me I’ll hardly be off-roading so they should last....until I decide to change the color 🤣👍🏼

Lol....good point. Lucky for me I’ll hardly be off-roading so they should last....until I decide to change the color 🤣👍🏼

Yep, in your case it should last a long time! The nice thing to is that it peels off pretty easily when you need to.

I plasti-dipped my grill on my old TJ. It was super easy and never peeled. I probably had it on for a year and a half before I sold it. I never ran it through auto-car washes though because i was afraid it wouldn't hold up to it. Held up fine for hand washes though. I just put newspaper behind the grill, taped everything off and did several layers. Worked out great. I'll try to find some old pictures.

I plasti-dipped my grill on my old TJ. It was super easy and never peeled. I probably had it on for a year and a half before I sold it. I never ran it through auto-car washes though because i was afraid it wouldn't hold up to it. Held up fine for hand washes though. I just put newspaper behind the grill, taped everything off and did several layers. Worked out great. I'll try to find some old pictures.
To be honest I didn’t even think about doing the grill instead of buying a new black Mopar one (I want a black grill).
I plan on taking my wheels off when I do it but some of the YouTube videos did it with the wheels on the car. Are they not afraid of overspray on the body?

To be honest I didn’t even think about doing the grill instead of buying a new black Mopar one (I want a black grill).
I plan on taking my wheels off when I do it but some of the YouTube videos did it with the wheels on the car. Are they not afraid of overspray on the body?
If there's over spray, it peels right off. The JKs are easier to spray the grills than the TJs too because you can remove the JK grills easily. Not sure about wheels because I wouldn't want it on my brakes.

If there's over spray, it peels right off. The JKs are easier to spray the grills than the TJs too because you can remove the JK grills easily. Not sure about wheels because I wouldn't want it on my brakes.
How doesn’t it stick to the body? Does it only adhere to metal?

How doesn’t it stick to the body? Does it only adhere to metal?
It sticks but easily peels. So when I sprayed my grill, if I got tired of it, I could have peeled it off. For the wheels, I'd remove them just so nothing from the "paint" gets in between the pads and rotor. May not hurt, but I'd be cautious with that.

It sticks but easily peels. So when I sprayed my grill, if I got tired of it, I could have peeled it off. For the wheels, I'd remove them just so nothing from the "paint" gets in between the pads and rotor. May not hurt, but I'd be cautious with that.
Wheels and grill are coming off before I spray them

Reactions: KCsJKU
Yeah I was watching YouTube videos on it....pretty cool how it just peels right off and how easy it is to apply

Yep, that's one of the nice things about it compared to paint. If you ever decide you don't like it, you can just peel it off.

Gonna do it this weekend on my grill. When you did yours, did you apply any sort of base before spraying the color on? I thought I saw that they have a base used for the wheels but not sure if it’s needed for plastic

Gonna do it this weekend on my grill. When you did yours, did you apply any sort of base before spraying the color on? I thought I saw that they have a base used for the wheels but not sure if it’s needed for plastic
No, the only prep I did was use something like simple green to clean it and remove any grease or oil.

I did 4 coats....probably could’ve used two more but here it is installed

36F1159E-0784-4AAF-91B0-B54B64FAB1EC.jpeg

Reactions: KCsJKU