P0430 engine code

WellerT09

Hey guys, I’ve got an ‘09 X with 137k and a CEL for P0430. Is there any way to pin point what the problem is? I’ve got an ODB2 scan tool for android, but I can’t find anything to show the O2 sensor readings. It’s a free app, so I guess I shouldn’t expect much. Any advice on what app to use and what readings to expect? I’m trying to figure out if a sensor is bad or if the cats need to be replaced. I know it’s downstream and I think it was Bank 1, but I can double check that.
I’m not noticing any performance issues so I’m thinking it’s just the sensor. Thoughts?

The most likely explanation is either an O2 sensor or a faulty catalytic convertor.

The O2 sensor is pretty easy to test. I'm not sure on the exact procedure, but in the FSM (Factory Service Manual) there is a procedure to test the resistance, and you can very quickly find out if the O2 sensor is bad or not.

If you have 137k on the stock O2 sensors, I can all but guarantee that they ALL need to be replaced. O2 sensors are a standard wear and tear maintenance item, and ALL of them need to be replaced every 80k miles or so, not just one of them. Your Jeep will not only run better, but the fuel economy will often times slightly improve as well.

Reactions: Mikester86
Thanks Chris! I’ll search for that procedure. If only I could search my garage as easily for my multimeter. I haven’t seen it in years.
I have read to be sure and replace O2 sensor with NGK/NTK. Is that the consensus here as well? Any links to good deals? I’ve seen pricing all over between RockAuto and Advanced Auto.

Thanks Chris! I’ll search for that procedure. If only I could search my garage as easily for my multimeter. I haven’t seen it in years.
I have read to be sure and replace O2 sensor with NGK/NTK. Is that the consensus here as well? Any links to good deals? I’ve seen pricing all over between RockAuto and Advanced Auto.

Yes, you want to use NGK / NTK sensors, otherwise you'll have issues with them.

These are the sensors you want:

Upstream Left (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Upstream Right (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Downstream Left (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

Downstream Right (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

They may be cheaper elsewhere, but when you factor in the Prime free 2-day shipping, I think it's pretty hard to beat those prices by much (if any at all).