P013C O2 Sensor Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 2

bnark

I have a 2007 JK that I added an AFE header and exhaust system to. After about 6 months of driving it with no issues I got a P013C O2 Sensor Slow Response rich to lean on Bank 2 Sensor 2. It seemed to reset itself for about 3 months as the check eng light would come on and off for various lengths of time. Then it went solid on. Since it was such a while since I made the change I figured I needed to replace the O2 sensor which I did. The error code came back almost immediately again periodically going on and off for various lengths of time. I took it to a jeep dealer (I never do that, no trust) they put on another o2 sensor, same result, they swapped with one that was working, same result. They kept the vehicle and fiddled with it for like 2 weeks. The CEL went away for 6 months and came back this time solid and not going away anymore. I took it back, they said the exhaust system was "loose" and tightened up all the connections, CEL came back right away. I suggested electrical since it was intermittent and we've done everything else. They checked and said electrical was OK. They then said everything was fine with the engine and the computer needed to be retuned to the new exhaust dynamics and said they couldn't help. Here's my question to any experts out there. Is that something that can be done and by who? Never did that before and it sounds like the "Tuner" would have to get into the computer and change some variables in it's database. It runs fine just makes me nervous that if something else goes wrong I'll never know until I get a failure. Any comments would be welcomed.

I have long tube headers and high flow cats and was getting the bank 2 codes so I installed these and never got another code. What brand of o2's were installed should use NTK's as they are the same as Factory. I was getting the po430 codes which says different then your codes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TT27HPV/?tag=jkforum-20

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAL07
If it had an exhaust leak before the catalytics, it might be clogged. You might want to gamble on a bottle of Cataclean, snake oil first, before even more expensive parts replacement.
My dodge truck started throwing scary codes when I fixed a leak in my exhaust. I did use Cataclean, but do not know if the problems took care of itself or if the snake oil worked. My theory was the converter would never have gotten up to temp when the exhaust was leaking, the engine was running rich because the sensors were getting bad data, causing buildup in the converter.

I did buy a set of spacers like this but so far haven't needed to install.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6WWT7P/?tag=jkforum-20

You should also invest $20 or less in a OBD2 reader that works with your phone or laptop. Then with cheap/free software you can watch what the computer is seeing from the sensors and what it is telling the engine to do. It will take a while to know what to look for in the data. The most useful is the fuel trims and o2 sensor data.
Don

Thanks for the feedback. I have a reader for my phone. I will see if I can read the O2 sensor with it. I will also try the Cat cleaner.

I have 2009 Jeep JK. I have had the same issue. First I had P0420 which is a catayler converter Bank 1 so I had that replaced and the shop put on a new one on the wrong side. I had no idea as I drove away and the code came back on right away. I called the shop and explained. I bought it back in and then they realized they put in new one on wrong side. So they put the right one on the right side. So they put on a new one on the other side at no charge. A week later I got P013C code which is bank 2 sensor. I bougjt it back in and they replaced the sensor. It still came back on. So they replaced fuel filter and spark plugs. Still came back on so they replaced the body throttle gasket. The ligjt still came back on. They then ran dynamic on it and only went halfway before it shutted down and wont let it run full. So I took it to other shop and they said that it is the PCM so I told them to go ahead and do it. $1500 PCM with lifetime warranty. Light came back on right away. They then investigsted and checked alll and is tight and could not figure out why.

I have 2009 Jeep JK. I have had the same issue. First I had P0420 which is a catayler converter Bank 1 so I had that replaced and the shop put on a new one on the wrong side. I had no idea as I drove away and the code came back on right away. I called the shop and explained. I bought it back in and then they realized they put in new one on wrong side. So they put the right one on the right side. So they put on a new one on the other side at no charge. A week later I got P013C code which is bank 2 sensor. I bougjt it back in and they replaced the sensor. It still came back on. So they replaced fuel filter and spark plugs. Still came back on so they replaced the body throttle gasket. The ligjt still came back on. They then ran dynamic on it and only went halfway before it shutted down and wont let it run full. So I took it to other shop and they said that it is the PCM so I told them to go ahead and do it. $1500 PCM with lifetime warranty. Light came back on right away. They then investigsted and checked alll and is tight and could not figure out why.

Was the ECM ever reset after any of the repairs?

Did the shop put OEM cats on or aftermarket ones?

Reactions: BigAL07
Was the ECM ever reset after any of the repairs?

Did the shop put OEM cats on or aftermarket ones?
Yes, they replaced it with the OEM cats. They then reset everything. It still came back on no matter what. Last week, the light disappeared and then I quickly got it inspected. The next day, the light came back on for the code.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07