Overheating

I'm just a shade tree mechanic, but I'm going to throw this out for discussion. Could it be possible that I have small crack in the head and once engine heats up and metal expands coolant is escaping. Once engine cools down it closes so when the block test is performed it maintains pressure?

I'm just a shade tree mechanic, but I'm going to throw this out for discussion. Could it be possible that I have small crack in the head and once engine heats up and metal expands coolant is escaping. Once engine cools down it closes so when the block test is performed it maintains pressure?
Do you have moist at the bottom of the engine?
Maybe engine block hairline crack and not the head.

That's definitely a possibility, yes. The dealer (or wherever it's at) should rule this out.

Haven't noticed any, it has been a dealership for for two days if they do something I'm bringing to a dealership 60 miles away that some of my buddies use. It's a smaller dealership and more people friendly.

Reactions: Chris
Haven't noticed any, it has been a dealership for for two days if they do something I'm bringing to a dealership 60 miles away that some of my buddies use. It's a smaller dealership and more people friendly.
I am sorry that you have to go through this.
Jeep dealership shop should be the experts.
Auto union mechanics goes thru rigid trainings to get their certs.

Mid County Dodge in Port Arthur Texas has finally found the problem, blown head gasket. Did a block test Wednesday 4th, Thursday 5th got approval from Warranty Forever. Monday 9th started teardown. Today is Thursday 12th I spoke with service writer this morning, I was informed it may be out by this Friday but no guarantee. I asked what's taking so long. Was told they keep pulling him off to other jobs. This is no mom and pop dealership it's fairly large. Is this the way dealerships work? I'm sorry for my rambling on, but I'm ticked putting it politely.

Mid County Dodge in Port Arthur Texas has finally found the problem, blown head gasket. Did a block test Wednesday 4th, Thursday 5th got approval from Warranty Forever. Monday 9th started teardown. Today is Thursday 12th I spoke with service writer this morning, I was informed it may be out by this Friday but no guarantee. I asked what's taking so long. Was told they keep pulling him off to other jobs. This is no mom and pop dealership it's fairly large. Is this the way dealerships work? I'm sorry for my rambling on, but I'm ticked putting it politely.

Perfect reason I do my own repairs, I could see them pulling the Mechanic off yours to do a small job to keep another Customer happy.

I asked what's taking so long. Was told they keep pulling him off to other jobs. This is no mom and pop dealership it's fairly large. Is this the way dealerships work? I'm sorry for my rambling on, but I'm ticked putting it politely.
Not normal - they are union organized and I have all the respect to what they do. That's why they are very expensive, but that is odd that they pull out someone away from yours.

Thanks for the update, glad they got it fixed.

Not sure about why it took so long though, that seems a bit odd.

Ok Jeep is still overheating. It has been at dealdealership for two days. They did a block test overnight with 30lbs on system, no pressure drop. One mechanic stood at back of jeep while the other started it. The one at the rear was checking for smoking or the smell of antifreeze coming out of tailpipe. No smoke or smell of antifreeze. They did a test on radiator to see if there was any exhaust gases in it, and found none. Still after driving roughly 45 miles it's overheating when slowing down to 35mph. When engine cools down and coolant is checked it takes close to two quarts to refill. They checked fan and it's operating correctly. They are dumb founded. Any suggestions?

I know I am a little late to the post, but did you ever find out what the problem was/is?