overdrive questions

white rabbit

hello jeep brothers and sisters! first post!

I have a 2016 jk sport that has the 3.6 with auto trans - W5A580, 4 inch lift, 35 in. mud grapplers and just installed 4.88 gears w/lunchbox up front.
my question is - does the transmission have 5 forward gears AND overdrive? or is the 5th gear overdrive ?
before the gear swap (3.21 gears) it would shift into what felt like OVERDRIVE with very low RPM's highway driving. now just shifts into 5th and stays there 🙄

hello jeep brothers and sisters! first post!

I have a 2016 jk sport that has the 3.6 with auto trans - W5A580, 4 inch lift, 35 in. mud grapplers and just installed 4.88 gears w/lunchbox up front.
my question is - does the transmission have 5 forward gears AND overdrive? or is the 5th gear overdrive ?
before the gear swap (3.21 gears) it would shift into what felt like OVERDRIVE with very low RPM's highway driving. now just shifts into 5th and stays there 🙄
Your transmission has 5 gears. 5th gear is the overdrive. You say you installed 4.88 gears up front. I want to assume that you also installed 4.88 gears in the rear. What you're describing with 3.21 gears is exactly why you needed to change the differential gears.

yes, 4.88 front and rear, Thank you for the " 5th gear is your overdrive"!!! i was beginning to loose my mind 🤯 and 70 mph is over 2900...... with my muffler removed it is a little annoying to the ears. no biggie, not my daily driver. good power offroad 👍