JK Hood Venting

A2112Priest

Supporting Member
Howdy...Just curious if anyone runs with a vented hood? What I'm really curious about is how functional it really is? If you do run one, was engine temp decreased a noticeable amount? I live in central FL...we have 2 seasons...brown and browner. As we near the browner season i'm considering adding this to the rig but not I don't want to cut into a perfectly good hood if the vents aren't a noticeable improvement...

Thoughts?

I have a vented hood but the hood was already on it when I bought the JK so I don't know how much it does. I'm sure they will do some good for lowering the engine compartment temps.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Understand @BLACKJKU ... I may give it a try...I don't think it'll hurt...just don't want to mangle a perfectly good hood. I usually run 210-214 deg right now but we still haven't hit the mid 90s yet...

Understand @BLACKJKU ... I may give it a try...I don't think it'll hurt...just don't want to mangle a perfectly good hood. I usually run 210-214 deg right now but we still haven't hit the mid 90s yet...

That one that Lxxtsy Posted a link on is a nice looking one and shouldn't wreck your hood. Also if you have underhood insulation remove it.

Reactions: Lxxtsy
there's this option also

Yep! That's the one i would be considering... If i can get even 5 deg lower temp from what ever temp i have during the summer...it'll be $ well spent!

Reactions: Lxxtsy
Yep! That's the one i would be considering... If i can get even 5 deg lower temp from what ever temp i have during the summer...it'll be $ well spent!

Have you looked into getting a Jscan I heard you can set your cooling fan to come on sooner also with it.

With any Hood vent, you're not going to get a decrease in engine temperatures, you're going to get a decrease in engine compartment temperatures. In my mind, this can be very important in certain areas because of all the electronics under the hood.

I don't have empirical data but I do know that when I had hood vents from Daystar punched in my old JK's Hood, I could see the heat rise on a moderately warm day in Michigan. I got a very good deal on the Daystar Cowl Hood last year, just haven't installed it.

Daystar says that their combination of the cowl hood and the side vents can drop engine compartment temperatures 24%.

The thing I liked about the Daystar cowl hood was it actually sucked air into the engine compartment from the outside as opposed to having convection carry hot air out.

Reactions: mrjp
The incoming air through the grill goes into the engine compartment and has to go somewhere, so a vented hood you would thing they do something other then make the Jeep pretty.

I really like that style better, but the cowl was cheaper. :) @BLACKJKU have you experienced the phenomenon of ice flying up from the recess at the front? Not that @A2112Priest would have THAT issue :D

No, in the 2 winters that i've owned it it's never been driven in snow, sleet, or freezing rain. It sits in the garage where it's warm and dry.

I have 2 diesel 4x4's that have the bad winter duty.

Howdy...Just curious if anyone runs with a vented hood? What I'm really curious about is how functional it really is? If you do run one, was engine temp decreased a noticeable amount? I live in central FL...we have 2 seasons...brown and browner. As we near the browner season i'm considering adding this to the rig but not I don't want to cut into a perfectly good hood if the vents aren't a noticeable improvement...

Thoughts?
I’ve got the Call Of Duty hood on my JK. I have seen an article on the net somewhere way back, i wasn’t looking for it but it stated somewhere between 5-10% heat reduction from memory. I had mine as part of a kit offered at the time but would i have one now. NO, i’d keep the original. The AEV also doesn’t have the windshield rubber bumps, so when you take it into your dealer generally a moron will leave the hood resting on the top windshield panel and you end up with paint damage. 👊 Qld, AU 🇳🇿🥵 too

• Face Palm
My hood bumpers don't hit the w/s frame if I open it all the way. The only time I've seen those be of benefit was when lowering the windshield on the hood, the angle is wrong the other way. ???

That is a good point, though. I have a rubber strip from when I had an XJ - it lined the roof to marginally protect it from cargo. Maybe I should pull one out, put some 3M tape on it and fasten it to the top of the w/s. Hmmm... I'll loose mall crawler cred, tho...

• Haha