Oil pool behind oil cooler

kenneth1120

Hi everyone,

About 6 months ago, I replaced my oil cooler. The symptoms were obvious, I could see the pool of oil looking down next to the oil filter housing.

Unfortunately, I used the oil pressure sensor that came with the aftermarket cooler. It lasted 3 or 4 months before it gave me a check engine and had to be replaced with an OEM sensor

About a month or 2 after that I noticed an oil leak again. It's been leaking for about a month now, but not enough to be notice on the dip stick. This past week the dripping became a lot heavier so it was time to check it out.

This time, there was no oil at all around the oil filter housing, only a pool of oil at the back underneath the sensors.

Initially I thought I installed the oil pressure sensor incorrectly, but after removing the oil cooler, the sensors looked extremely clean, no signs of leakage from the oil pressure and temp sensors. This leads me to believe it's one of the following issues:

1. The oil cooler has failed again, although there was no pool of oil in the usual spot at the front underneath the oil filter. And I cannot visually see any cracks

2. The oil cooler shifted while I installed the new pressure sensor. Maybe just needs to be reseated with new gaskets?

3. Something else is leaking in that area. Perhaps those torx sensor things that sit underneath the oil cooler? The rear one that sits under the oil cooler sensors was my initial suspension, but I have no idea what they are or if oil even runs through there.

I have attached an image with a circle where the oil was pooling. Any ideas what It most likely is?

On a side note, I'm also replacing my coil packs and spark plugs while I'm in there. Anything else I should replace? Currently at 120k miles

PXL_20240114_225301761~2.jpg

Something else is leaking in that area. Perhaps those torx sensor things that sit underneath the oil cooler? The rear one that sits under the oil cooler sensors was my initial suspension, but I have no idea what they are or if oil even runs through there.
Those look like knock sensors to me. If so, they are mounted to blind holes in the block (no oil path communication).

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Those look like knock sensors to me. If so, they are mounted to blind holes in the block (no oil path communication).
Seems like it is probably the oil cooler again then. Saw no signs of leakage from the sensors so don't know what else it could be. Will replace with the aluminum upgrade on this go around.

Reactions: tJKrider