Not death wobble but what is it?

Joes&JensRubicons

Hello all,
I don’t want to title is as a death wobble but might be???

So, I installed a 3.5 Rock krawler lift kit 4 weeks ago.
which came with:
springs,
rear track bar relocation bracket,
front track bar,
front lower control arms,
rear sway bar links,
synergy sway bar links,
I purchased separately 2.0 fox shocks,
then got a alignment...

I added 3 weeks ago:
35” tires,
metalcloak upper control arms,
metalcloak HD drag link,

Everything was cool until last week I decided to install Alloy ball joints. Now when I hit 80+ Mph it seems like I’m driving side to side within my lane. I went to get another alignment and the toe was off. Steering wheel needed adjustment. After alignment it still seeming like it wants to follow the indentations in the road. I have not installed a aftermarket tie rod or stabilizer shock yet.
Any ideas what it could be?

80 MPH in a Jk? I have a Subaru BRZ when I want a controlled handle at those Knots!

80 in a lifted JK is the precipice of a wreck.
How much air you got in the tires and have you crawled back underneath once you installed everything and drove it to ensure everything is still tight?

Depending on your states roads, it will do that. It sucks to hear, but roads that suck with tires as wide as ours (I am assuming you have 35x 12.5) will grab the rutts and highpoints and pull, but I dont believe you should feel unsafe.

I had a similar problem and upgraded my tierod/drag link and that helped.

Depending on your states roads, it will do that. It sucks to hear, but roads that suck with tires as wide as ours (I am assuming you have 35x 12.5) will grab the rutts and highpoints and pull, but I dont believe you should feel unsafe.

I had a similar problem and upgraded my tierod/drag link and that helped.
Yup 35 by 12.5 I mean how likely would it be for the Alloy ball joints to be junk?

Yup 35 by 12.5 I mean how likely would it be for the Alloy ball joints to be junk?
I’m not familiar wit them, but I’ve always used Spicer ball joints.

When you changed them, this came up, something was done. Either that part is bad, or something else.

I’ve heard of over tight ball joints holding steer etc, wheel won’t return to straight. New setup I’d check my Caster angle. Idid that on my 08 and dialed it with adjustable control arms and all is right with the world.

Reactions: Joes&JensRubicons
Honestly, you may want to have the wheels and tires looked at again. Just because they balanced them, doesn't mean they did it right. More often than not, a lot of shops don't have enough experience balancing the big tires we run. I've had to have wheels and tires balanced up to 3 times on occasion before they actually got it right.

That would honestly be my first guess. It's best to go to a shop that specializes in balancing 4x4 tires, or at least make sure the person doing it isn't a kid with little experience.

Reactions: Joes&JensRubicons
Sooooo, I believe I found the problem I had recent installed Alloy ball joints that’s when the side to side driving started. Last weekend I swapped them out to terraflex. Talk about a difference in handling. I knew Alloy had a equal amount of good and bad review. I just figured ball joints are ball joints how bad could it be. Well I learned the hard way. I’m glad I do all my own work otherwise that would of been a big waist of money on labor.

Reactions: mrjp