Non-standard D30 axle nut size?

JerryD

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporting Member
Ok, has anyone seen an axle nut on a JK D30 that was much smaller than a 35mm? I have had 5 JK's in the family that I've worked on... I think 3 times I've removed an axle nut. I have a 2 1/16" socket for CJ's, 36mm for YJ's, and a 35mm for the JK's I've worked on. The nut on this 2009 JK Sahara is MUCH smaller than 35mm. I didn't have my full socket set out so I'm not sure what it is... bigger than a 24mm but definitely smaller than the 35. Also, the rust on it makes it look almost welded on.

Have any of you seen a nut other than a 35/36mm on a D30? I stopped and sprayed a bunch of penetrating oil on it in hopes of chiseling off the rust later.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I remember seeing somewhere that a few came with 32mm. For the life of me I cannot find it now.

Reactions: BigAL07
Ok, has anyone seen an axle nut on a JK D30 that was much smaller than a 35mm? I have had 5 JK's in the family that I've worked on... I think 3 times I've removed an axle nut. I have a 2 1/16" socket for CJ's, 36mm for YJ's, and a 35mm for the JK's I've worked on. The nut on this 2009 JK Sahara is MUCH smaller than 35mm. I didn't have my full socket set out so I'm not sure what it is... bigger than a 24mm but definitely smaller than the 35. Also, the rust on it makes it look almost welded on.

Have any of you seen a nut other than a 35/36mm on a D30? I stopped and sprayed a bunch of penetrating oil on it in hopes of chiseling off the rust later.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Do both sides have the same size nuts?

Oooh. Dodged a major headache. This is one of the unit bearing to knuckle bolts.
PXL_20230414_203824634.jpg

Stretched it a wee bit...