No start no crank issue on 2016 JKU

juanylaw

Hey all, I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with my 2016 JKU (Rubicon if that matters) with 77k. I have searched and searched for same issues to no avail. On 12/26 I took my sons shooting we were in about 2 feet of snow switching from 4hi to 4lo with no issues. We parked, shut it off and did some shooting. About an hour later we went to leave and the Jeep would not turn over. Interior lights were dim and seemed to be flashing. I used a jump pack with no success. I assumed it was the battery so I went and got one. Put in and still nothing and ended up towing the heep out of the woods. I had the orinal battery checked and it was bad, but still under warranty so I got a new one and returned the other one. Put second new one in and still nothing.

I have checked the fuses the TIPM to include removing the security fuse, swapped the relays around, I have switched out the ignition switch, using a jump wire I tested the starter and it turns the engine over. All with no success. I am at my wits end and hoping someone may have suggestions besides sitting it on fire. For the last 3 years, I had been dealling with intermittent ECU code P0741-Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance Stuck Off. It also came up with a U0101-Lost Communication with TCM, P0123-Throttle/ Pedal Postion Sensor/Switch A-Circuit High Input and P0222 Throttle/ Pedal Postion Sensor/Switch B-Circuit Low Input.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
Your saying that the starter won't turn the engine over with the key but you can jump the starter and it will turn over?

Is there a red dot lit up on the right side of the instrument cluster?

Did you try starting it with the trans in neutral?

Did you try starting it with the transfercase in 4 low?

Have you checked to see if your shift cable bushings were bad?

And also the neutral safety switch is located inside the transmission pan it could be bad.

Reactions: BigAL07
Yes, to starter question no to security light, it shuts off. Yes to neutral and 4lo.
To check bushing, do I need to remove center console? I assume I would need remove transmission pan to check the neutral switch?

Thanks

Not sure if you need to remove the console to check the shifter side or not.

Probably need a scanner or something like that to check the neutral switch.

Have you tried moving the shifter back and forth while trying to start it?

Then it could be the bushings, get under the Jeep and push on the trans bracket to see if it's all the way into Park then try starter.

Reactions: BigAL07
This could also be a ground or electrical issue, could snow have gotten in any of the engine harness or PCM connectors.. this could have put contaminents in there causing a faulty connection. You might try disconnecting/reconnecting these connections while an assistant tries the key after each one. If it hits you know which one to pull apart and clean.

Thanks for the reply. I can't imagine snow getting way up near ECM. I will check them either way. Are there any connections below, other than transmission plug that could have been knocked loose.